Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[X-post from beginners forum].

Wondering if what Im encountering is normal at all. I have a Madone I put 2,500 miles on with the stock Bonti Lux saddle. It was comfortable, but felt like there was way too much padding and wanted to try something a bit more minamalist...low profile, if you will. So I picked up a SI SLR Gel Flow.

OW!

This saddle is hard and a rock and the tips of my seat bones let me know pretty much right away. So.....is this a normal thing with new saddles or is this one just not for me. Is there a "break in" period for both the saddle and my bum or does one usually know pretty quick if the saddle they bought is the right one or not?

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Yeah, just give it a little bit more time for your tush to become aquainted with your new saddle. That is really the only "break-in" there is, unless you have a "Brooks"
or some other leather base saddle.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
What breaks in

YGB321 said:
Wondering if what Im encountering is normal at all. I have a Madone I put 2,500 miles on with the stock Bonti Lux saddle. It was comfortable, but felt like there was way too much padding and wanted to try something a bit more minamalist...low profile, if you will. So I picked up a SI SLR Gel Flow.
As noted elsewhere, a modern saddle does not break in. The base of the saddle is plastic (typically nylon) and is not going to mold to your body. If the foam or gel changes shape, it is because it is breaking down, not breaking in. Your butt will likely adapt, the saddle does not change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts