Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Just picked up a white Cervelo R3. Looking to pick up a white saddle to match. Currently using a Selle Italia Flite Gel. Its about 5 years old, been on my last 3 bikes. Fairly happly with it. Only issues is numbness when on a trainer in the winter, and gets a little uncomfortable over 50 miles(most rides I do are 25-40) miles. Thinking maybe I would like the SelleItalia SLR or Specialized Toupe due to the flat/flexing ability of the saddle. Also considering the SelleSanMarco Concor due to the classic shape. Reminds me of the SelleItalia Turbo I used as a teenager. Any input from users of any of these 3 saddles would be great!!!!
Thanks
Bryan

·
Registered
235 Posts
Numbness

No comment on those three saddles but regarding the numbness I borrowed then
bought a Selle SMP saddle after riding a metric C and many daily rides without any numbness whatsoever. They do come in a variety of padding and weights. Numbness
has been a problem for me but those days seem to be over.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I used to ride Flite

and liked them a lot. Then I decided I wanted a saddle with a center cutout. I tried a couple different ones before I found the SLR Gelflow. I've had these on two bikes for several years now, and it's my favorite saddle ever. To me, it feels a bit narrower than the Flite GelFlow or Genuine Gel -- closer to the old original Flite Ti, but with the benefit of the slightly flexing suspension and the cutout.

YBMV, of course.

·
Sharkey
68 Posts
Toupe

The toupe is a very comfortable saddle. I have done lots of long rides and centuries on mine and, despite it's appearance, the flex and shape of the saddle ensure that it is comfortable. The only (minor) issue I have had with the toupe is that on extended rides (over 80 miles), the general hardness of the saddle begins to take it's toll on my sitbones. Not painful really . . . just a little annoying.

·
I am not aero
304 Posts
ditto

I really like the Toupe, though if I were to buy it again, I would probably try the Toupe Gel. It looks to have a little padding without being overly so.

sharkey said:
The toupe is a very comfortable saddle. I have done lots of long rides and centuries on mine and, despite it's appearance, the flex and shape of the saddle ensure that it is comfortable. The only (minor) issue I have had with the toupe is that on extended rides (over 80 miles), the general hardness of the saddle begins to take it's toll on my sitbones. Not painful really . . . just a little annoying.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have a Concor Light. I could never get past three days using the thing. It's just a tad bit too narrow for me. One problem I encounter is stability because of metal work in my hip. Otherwise it has just the right amount of padding, and I like the rise in the tail. You can go over to Excel Sports and read the reviews on this saddle. Some guys swear by them, they have been around for years...

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
Hello
Just picked up a white Cervelo R3. Looking to pick up a white saddle to match. Currently using a Selle Italia Flite Gel. Its about 5 years old, been on my last 3 bikes. Fairly happly with it. Only issues is numbness when on a trainer in the winter, and gets a little uncomfortable over 50 miles(most rides I do are 25-40) miles. Thinking maybe I would like the SelleItalia SLR or Specialized Toupe due to the flat/flexing ability of the saddle. Also considering the SelleSanMarco Concor due to the classic shape. Reminds me of the SelleItalia Turbo I used as a teenager. Any input from users of any of these 3 saddles would be great!!!!
Thanks
Bryan
I have a white SLR on my Time VXR Proteam and I like it a lot.
The problem is that after about 1500 miles it's no longer white.....more like off white color.
I'll be replacing it with a red one when I wear this one out.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
double ditto

sharkey said:
I have a Toupe Team and it is quite comfortable given the weight and hardness. I get bum pain on long rides, but not really numbness too bad. I think I may try the Toupe gel next and see if it fixes that. I'd like to try a Selle Italia SLR as well.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the Concor is off the list. After hearing that its narrow, I looked into the specifics. Its less than 130mm wide. No concor for me.

I stopped by a shop and tried out both the toupe and toupe gel. Wasn't liking the feeling of the either toupe.

I think I may consider the new flite too. I'm either going to go with a 08 flite genuine gel(no cutout). Or a SLR. Not sure if I want to go with the gel flow(cutout) or standard. I tried a older gelflow flite, didn't care for the cutout. Thinking the standard SLR may be the better bet.

So looks like either 08 Flite gel or SLR.

Bryan

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Have you considered a white Regal?

If you like wide saddles, the Regal is the most comfortable one I have ever used (as it's brother the Rolls). Probikekit has them for $91.29. Team Edition. No sales tax or shipping..

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I like my Toupe, but something about its shape makes it very sensitive to angle... Just a little bit off and it's much less comfortable.

If the R3 still comes with that lousy 1-bolt FSA post with the very coarse angle adjustment, you will want to replace it with a good micro-adjustable post. The R3 takes a very large post (32.4mm) which is uncommon. I managed to find a two-bolt Selcof post in the correct diameter but getting a USE shim and more common diameter post is probably a better solution.

When it is at the right angle its a good saddle. Absolutely no numbness issues no matter long long I stay in the drops (and my bars are pretty low). It does put more pressure on the sit bones but I can deal with that, especially if I use chamois cream for rides over 6 hours. The specialized butt-measuring pad measured me at 143mm but I found the 143mm saddle too wide. 130mm is better for me.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'd go for a Toupe or Toupe Gel. I've had an SLR too and it was okay, but the Toupe (in 143mm) is just more comfortable over longer distances for me than the SLR was.

Do NOT get a Concor. Awful. I made it 5 miles on it before I had to turn around and go back home and take it off. Most uncomfortable saddle I've ever had the displeasure of using.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow. I was in the exact same position you where in 6 months ago. I was riding a flight gel and having numbness primarily on the rollers or long rides on flat terrain. I got measured for the toupe and ended up with the 143 width. It took a week to get used to it. I am really pleased with it. I haven't had any numbness sense. Angle is very import to comfort, start off at a level position and work it nose up and down until you find your spot. Your seat post may make this process a little more difficult if it has a course adjustment.

·
your god hates me
1,570 Posts
I've got an SLR on my backup/rain bike, and while it's perfectly fine for short rides or commuting I find that anything over 35-40 miles gets really uncomfortable on that saddle. It's probably just a tad too narrow for my anatomy. "Flex"? I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Surprisingly, the Toupe Gel isn't as comfortable as the normal Toupe (at least for me). The regular version flexes to provide a little bit of comfort. With the Gel version, the padding isn't comfortable and the seat doesn't flex as much as the normal Toupe, perhaps due to the padding itself.
+1

Yeah, I really dislike "gel" saddles. Some folks were complaining that the shell of the Toupe non-gel flexed too much. For me, it's perfect. I also have and use an SLR Flow. Definitely higher quality/better made than the Toupe, but not quite as comfortable for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.