Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post below about aluminum bikes has me thinking about the benefits of riding with a cf or ti seatpost. I've been mulling over purchasing a new seat post for a couple of weeks. My Colnago Master X-Light came equipped with a Thomson Elite non-setback post. I could not get my saddle far enough back and installed a Salsa Shaft which was nice, as it made it easy for me to try different saddle positions fore/aft/tilt). I have everything dialed in now (ended up going further back and level) but one of the bolt heads for the tilt adjustment is stripped. I have been looking at just about every seat post under the sun, some of them get pretty pricey. All my past seat posts have been aluminum. Is there a benefit from going to a ti or cf seat post? Or is a seat post just something you need to secure your saddle. One concern is weight. I weigh 200 and I'm thinking I might want to stick with a al post. I'm eyeing a Thomson setback, but I don't think I could get my saddle back far enough, reading all the reveiws in the Reviews forum.
I could probably just stick with the Salsa as long as I don't mess with the tilt. Cost is a concern also, I don't need any silly light stuff, just something that is well made and durable. Any suggestions?

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
I'm riding with a carbon post now. My previous post was a Dura-Ace. Is that Ti or Al? I'm not sure. But I am sure it really didn't matter. I noticed no difference. I've read a number of posts indicating that there really wasn't a perceptible difference between seat post materials.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Depends...

Dinosaur said:
The post below about aluminum bikes has me thinking about the benefits of riding with a cf or ti seatpost. I've been mulling over purchasing a new seat post for a couple of weeks. My Colnago Master X-Light came equipped with a Thomson Elite non-setback post. I could not get my saddle far enough back and installed a Salsa Shaft which was nice, as it made it easy for me to try different saddle positions fore/aft/tilt). I have everything dialed in now (ended up going further back and level) but one of the bolt heads for the tilt adjustment is stripped. I have been looking at just about every seat post under the sun, some of them get pretty pricey. All my past seat posts have been aluminum. Is there a benefit from going to a ti or cf seat post? Or is a seat post just something you need to secure your saddle. One concern is weight. I weigh 200 and I'm thinking I might want to stick with a al post. I'm eyeing a Thomson setback, but I don't think I could get my saddle back far enough, reading all the reveiws in the Reviews forum.
I could probably just stick with the Salsa as long as I don't mess with the tilt. Cost is a concern also, I don't need any silly light stuff, just something that is well made and durable. Any suggestions?
...On how far out of the ST the seatpost sticks out. When I was riding my mtn bike with the Ti Dean post on it, I could tell that there was some movement when I hit bumps. When I put the SP on a road frame with less of it sticking out, I couldn't tell a difference between that SP and anything else.

For standard road frames, the only thing you're going to be able to tell is how light your wallet gets... Having said that, www.pricepoint.com usually has some good deals on stuff. You may want to check out the Sette brand CF posts as well as the rest of the SPs they have.

Mike

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Good carbon post...

I really like the ITM Millenium post, which can be had in Al for about $70 or $90 for the carbon version (www.txcyclesport.com). It has a bit more setback than some other traditional posts, since the front of the clamp is slightly behind the centerline of the post. The two-bolt clamp which allows the saddle to be moved fore/aft without changing the saddle angle is one of the best features.

I just ordered the new FSA carbon post ($120) which appears to have a lot more setback and a similar two-bolt clamping mechanism. I'll provide a report after I get it.

Obviously a carbon post should be lighter, but I seriously doubt that it can improve ride comfort. I have a carbon post on both of my bikes and both have been trouble free.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
www.pedalforce.com

I just put one of their carbonfiber seatposts on my time trial bike. It has a fair amount of setback and the price is right. Plus its light and has a nice clamp.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
First, buy what looks pretty.
Second, consider compatibility of materials. Things we don't like to think about -- ti galls, and, as for carbon fiber, I'm still not sure that it should be greased unless heavily clearcoated, which many are not. If you don't grease, that thing can get really stuck. The alu ones are typically the same weight (more or less) with, often enough, more of the cost going into the design of the clamp. I've got a carbon fiber post (that came with the frame) permanently implanted into a frame at a good height, but not subject to change.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Got the FSA carbon post...

Just got the new FSA carbon post today. The front of the seat rail clamp is located 1.5cm behind the centerline of the post. It's very nicely made with a clamp that functions like the ITM, but does not require an 8mm open-end wrench for the angle adjustment. Both of the clamp bolts are M5, which requires a 4mm hex wrench.

The ITM post, in comparison, has the front of the clamp .5cm behnd the centerline of the post.

A traditional post most often has the front of the clamp approximately even with the centerline of the post.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did not consider that option..

Trent in WA said:
Dino,

I'd think you'd be able to get any competent bike or machine shop to remove the bolt and could then replace it for not too much dinero. Have you considered that option?

Trent
........................................................................................................
However that would blow the whole idea about buying a new toy for my bike.

I'm thinking of a ITM Millenium (looks pretty). I have a coupon for 20% off at one of my local bike shops and maybe they can order one for me.

The grease or no grease for a cf post has me thinking also. I did a bonehead thing and painted my cheapo Icon seat post for my old Klein and it's implanted forever in the seat tube.

Another option is a Chorus seatpost (my whole bike is Campy Chorus/Record mix) that might be a good way to go.

I'm also trolling ebay.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
placebo or not, I think carbon is more comfortable than Al

Had a Record seatpost (Ti). Too much setback, I switched to the Thomson which is Al. I had the impression this was not as comfortable as the Record one, so on the recommendation of Cyclopathic I got the $50 carbon Sette from Pricepoint (http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.ht...e=&sub_id=&subName=&lprice=49.98&hprice=49.98)
Well, I have the impression it's more comfortable, and don't want to use the Thomson any longer. Maybe it's placebo, however I had a negative a priori against switching to a carbon seatpost... I have the impression that it transmits less road vibrations.

Pierre

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sette

Pierre said:
Had a Record seatpost (Ti). Too much setback, I switched to the Thomson which is Al. I had the impression this was not as comfortable as the Record one, so on the recommendation of Cyclopathic I got the $50 carbon Sette from Pricepoint (http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.ht...e=&sub_id=&subName=&lprice=49.98&hprice=49.98)
Well, I have the impression it's more comfortable, and don't want to use the Thomson any longer. Maybe it's placebo, however I had a negative a priori against switching to a carbon seatpost... I have the impression that it transmits less road vibrations.

Pierre
I have eyed that Sette cf post on pricepoint, the price sure looks good.
My question about a cf post in a steel frame, is to grease or no grease? Also- I presume you had to cut the post down? Which is no problem, I had to cut the Salsa post as it came in 400mm length.
Dino

·
Registered
62 Posts
I found absolutely no difference

Dinosaur said:
in comfort. My Ti Chorus post broke in half. Kind of scary it was a clean break around the middle of the post. No cracks. I put on an old Campy AL post and placed an order for a carbon Record post.

I noticed absolutely no difference in comfort. The only reason to go carbon is aesthetics or a little lighter weight. IMO once you find one with enough setback it's only something to hold your seat up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I actually have a Easton CF seatpost and I definitley can feel the difference with it vs. the AL seatpost that I was using before with my CAAD3 frame. Granted, it's a pretty harsh frame so it stands to benefit from minor improvements in comfort more than most bikes. I got the seatpost off eBay for something like $50. I didn't obsess over weight, there are probably lighter ones out there... but the price was right.

I recommend CF, give it a shot and see. Good luck.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Dino, thank you for your contribution to the economy.

Spending dinero on something that will not give you any weight,aero,comfort,performance improvement is lavish. Kind of like trolling eBay for a specific hard-tail frame, getting it, re-painting it ($250) and tricking it out with the lightest/best components ($2100). All this so that it can be raced (and/or ridden) probably 5x per year. Oh wait, that's what I just did. God dammit I hate this passion.....

BT

·
Registered
129 Posts
pazzaz ....

Over here in Europe Pazzaz more or less widely available. I believe it's produced in Taiwan. The line consists of stems, bars and seatposts, maybe more that I'm not aware of.

The quality I would say is equivalent to the positioning in price: just below products like ITM, Selcof, Deda, etc. I'd rather go for the latter (only based on looks though).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whenever I've had to buy a post it's alwasy been Thomson. They are great and always work just as the should. They are also light and very durable. My new bike came with a carbon post (Trek 2200 with Bony Race X-Lite post) and I don't notice any difference in ride. It's a great post and the head is wonderfully easy to adjust, but I don't find it any more or less comfortable then my Thomsons.

If I wanted a really cool post though, it would be this http://www.boldprecision.com/bicycle.htm

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Dino, I seem to recall that you have enough post showing to perhaps gain some added comfort by going to ti. Have you looked at the Moots? It's supposed to be a bit of a pain to get the seat into it, but then adjusts easily. It's hugely popular with the hardtail mtb crowd for the added comfort. Not cheap, though...

http://www.moots.com/ticomp-seatposts.php

Otherwise, I'd just go DA or Campy.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went with a Sette APX road seatpost from Price Point..

It's a nice looking seatpost, designed similar to a Thomson Elite with the micro adjust fore and aft tilt. It slid right into my seat tube, no problem, I did not use grease. It has stayed put, has not slid, which was a problem I had with my two previous seatposts, one of which was a Thomson. It might have been the synthetic grease I was using. For the money it's an excellent value, it looks like an expensive seatpost. I think the cf might help dampen the ride a little, hard to tell, I would have to ride back to back with a al post in order to tell the difference. Sette is American made. I was expecting a pieice of junk, but it is very nice. I like it. This this hold me for awhile until I can think of another way to spend money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.