Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dream bike is almost complete...i am waiting for tires and then possibly crankset/chainrings and then the beast is ready for dirt.

this was my first custom build and it is amazing how the small details in sizing make the ride that much better...more pix and details are on the way

i hope the pix loaded ok...

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
Dude. That head tube is HUGE. What size is it? Nice bike, btw, although I'd probably swap out the wheels. But that's just me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
info...

tt length effective - 59 cm
seat tube eff - 54 cm
head tube lenght w/ spacers 17.5 cm

i am a "bit" of a clydesdale @ 6'4" and 285 lbs... the crew at seven said that the tubes were going to look like an oversized aluminum frame when they were done with it...pretty much spot on.

i knew the spinergy wheels would probably get some attention...i will look at some point for some bullet-proof spoked wheels, but for now, I will say that the rev-x's on the bike are the "super stiff" version and I have used/abused a set on my road bike for years w/o incident...and hope that they last me a little while on this build, i'll see how they feel when a throw my cx tires on and actually hit some trails off road.

thx - km

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rear brake routing...

yes, for the most part, i did. when i was answering the question sheet and speaking to the dealer, i was being realistic that i would not really be in that may situations where i would be porting the bike like in a traditional race.
i have picked it up an simulated carrying the bike on my shoulder and i actually rest the top tube on the palm of my hand the cable sits, untouched between the heel of my palm and finger tips...i'll see how it works, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Cool. I was just interested because some people are way into flat TTs and anything else that will make shouldering more comfortable, whereas I almost never shoulder my CX bike, especially not during races.

Being a hair under 6'4" (actually probably over 6'5" counting my hair) I am digging those HT and ETT dimensions.

Congrats.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
re - cable routing...

pb breath - i checked my actual design form and the routing is labeled as "7 o'clock: top tube"

at 6'5" what are you riding ? i always enjoy seeing what the tall crowd is riding...

standover 82.7 cm
fork is the wound up tandem model - seven and the lbs thought it would be PLENTY strong for my size and ride style...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ride opinion ... so far

i have only done road rides so far, i have had it about 2 weeks, and have about 200 + miles so far. on the road = comfy and stable. i can only campare it to my klein quantum road bike and it's aluminum characteristics...the seven is SMOOOTH.
when i decided on the cx version it was for the versatility. i have a lot of fire roads and groomed dirt trails and bike paths but still wanted to put road miles in, so i'll just swap wheels, depending on the mood.

i am looking forward to getting into the dirt and see her true colors...i'll keep you posted

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
kmac76 said:
pb breath - i checked my actual design form and the routing is labeled as "7 o'clock: top tube"

at 6'5" what are you riding ? i always enjoy seeing what the tall crowd is riding...

standover 82.7 cm
fork is the wound up tandem model - seven and the lbs thought it would be PLENTY strong for my size and ride style...
Actually 6'3 something with a 'fro. :D

I'm riding a 60cm Soma Double cross. Its actually a bit long, since I am mostly leg. I'd ideally like a 59 with a long HT. Reach on stock frames is always too long or too low. As it is I have an uncut steerer and a flipped stem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cross country trip = sweet

roseyscot - good luck on your trip - be safe.
the comfort factor you mention was a big part of the decision making process for me...keep us updated from the road if you can -

·
Registered
511 Posts
kmac76 said:
tt length effective - 59 cm
seat tube eff - 54 cm
head tube lenght w/ spacers 17.5 cm

i am a "bit" of a clydesdale @ 6'4" and 285 lbs... the crew at seven said that the tubes were going to look like an oversized aluminum frame when they were done with it...pretty much spot on.

i knew the spinergy wheels would probably get some attention...i will look at some point for some bullet-proof spoked wheels, but for now, I will say that the rev-x's on the bike are the "super stiff" version and I have used/abused a set on my road bike for years w/o incident...and hope that they last me a little while on this build, i'll see how they feel when a throw my cx tires on and actually hit some trails off road.

thx - km
May I ask what your BB to saddle height is? I'm 6'4" and have a Seven Axiom and have a far bigger HT than you, that's for sure (HT incl. headset is 30cm). Ride is a bit more relaxed, but I'm thinking about a custom CX frame at some point and curious about your measurements. I have an IF PlanetX that is also of similar dimensions as my road bike (30cm HT; BB-saddle = 83cm; TT is 60cm and saddle nose to mid bar is around 57cm). Don't have much seatpost showing on either, very Merckxian fistful of post style.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tedh - i will measure that bb to seat height and let you know soon -
in the mean time here are the numbers i have from the build sheet

reach from saddle tail to handlebar = 85.4 cm
ht & st angles = 73 deg
chain stay length = 43.2 cm
est. top tube slope 7 deg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
unclefuzzy - i am starting to search th threads to see if any wheels in particular stick out as being bomb proof for the larger crowd...we'll see what turns up.

i didn't search all that thoroughly, but do you have any pix of your kelly ? i always had liked the classic look of his bikes...especially when they are close to my size frame...

·
Is not a clown car
2,299 Posts
yep. but these are both kinda old. I'll have to get out and take new pics. Its now running Dura ace 177.5 cranks, Campy Centaur 10spd parts, and for road season, a set of 28c Hutchinson Top speed tires. Its still orange as all git out.

Bombproof wheels? Mavic open pros, DT double butted spokes. Brass nipples. That there is about as stout as you can get short of running deep v rims.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.