Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the new shape can now be had in Centaur (and Veloce) flavors... who's gonna be the first? hey, at least silver can still be had

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,545 Posts
Why is the AE bike page designating them as "10 speed"? I was a thinking everything was bumping up to 11? :confused:

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Room 1201 said:
Why is the AE bike page designating them as "10 speed"? I was a thinking everything was bumping up to 11? :confused:

because they ARE 10-spd... as stated below, only Chorus and higher go to 11 (for now)

my question would be, do these retain the escape mechanism?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
no escape...

FatTireFred said:
because they ARE 10-spd... as stated below, only Chorus and higher go to 11 (for now)

my question would be, do these retain the escape mechanism?
The new shifters have the same ultra action as 11 speed. The only shifter left with the escape mechanism is the lowest level Veloce, that also has the old brake hood shape. Their are actually two models of Veloce shifters.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C-40 said:
The new shifters have the same ultra action as 11 speed. The only shifter left with the escape mechanism is the lowest level Veloce, that also has the old brake hood shape. Their are actually two models of Veloce shifters.

thank gawd... no reason to scour around for 2006 centaur levers now

· Registered
10,161 Posts
yes...

HammerTime-TheOriginal said:
Is the shape/size of the hoods, controls, etc. identical betwen 2009 (10 speed) carbon Centaur and 2009 (11speed) Chorus/Record/Super Record? What about the hood materials?
Other than the obvious aluminun brake levers, the materials should be the same. For 2009, Chorus shifters and below have bushings on the main index shaft. Only SR and Record have ball bearings.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks C-40. But I was really trying to ask about the materials/shape/size of the outside of the hoods/controls - the (potential) contact points with hands/fingers - any ergonomics differences..

why would they be different? same molds for bodies and levers, same rubber hoods... or do you think they would make separate ones for all the different lines? have they ever done that?

· World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,124 Posts
So, am I correct in assuming that the 2009 10 speed shifters are compatible with 2008 and earlier 10 speed systems? I noticed Universal Cycles has the alloy Centaur for $210.00.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not presuming what Campy's decision making process is. I am only interested in the result of that process. And internals are different (in at least some respect) between 11 and 10 speed shifters, so does it necessarily follow that the externals must be the same?

mmm, yes... do you remember not long ago when they had both 9 and 10 for record and chorus? were the externals different? how different do you think the internals are anyway? typically it's just a shift ring with one more click

· Registered
10,161 Posts
same....

I have to agree with the others. When you redesign a shift leve shape and hood, you wouldn't make it any different for the lower levels. The brake lever and hoods have always been cross compatible.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Chorus and Record share the same shape. The two models share the same carbon fiber brake levers and the same dual-density Vari-Cushion hoods. They differ by way of the internal mechanism; the internal gears of the Record group run on bearings where as Chorus relies on bushings.

· Registered
481 Posts
Magsdad said:
So, am I correct in assuming that the 2009 10 speed shifters are compatible with 2008 and earlier 10 speed systems? I noticed Universal Cycles has the alloy Centaur for $210.00.

They are compatible with all other Campy 10 speed systems. I believe AE Bike is cheaper than Universal.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
what what what??

so the 09 centaur is no diff to the 09 chorus? both run on bushing not bearings, and both have multishift NOT escape!?!? the diff ebing chorus is 11 and Centaur 10? if so, that's AWESOME.

i'll actually downgrade methinks to centaur next yr...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.