Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2001 Lemond Tourmalet (853 steel) that I really like. It fits me well and is a comfortable ride, but the Tiagra shifters are becoming a pain to operate. They work, but I have to push this way and that to get them to work sometimes. (and yes, I have tried dousing them with lube. The springs are just worn out)

So, do I pony up the dough for new shifters, and if so, which? (9 speed 105's on eBay?) Or do I sell the Lemond and get a new ride? Will I notice any difference on something like a Trek 2.3 ? I guess I could go do a test ride. The Lemond has Tiagra components around and a 1" threaded headset. I put on Neuvation M28 Aero 3 wheels.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I vote keep it

If you just want to buy a new bike, that's your choice and there's nothing wrong with it. But, since you have one you like, I'd suggest keeping it. Look at it this way. If you sell it as is, you're not going to get very much for it based on its age, component level and need for replacement parts. If you fix it up with new shifters, etc., then sell it, you'll probably cover the cost of the new parts, but not a lot more. Plus, once you've fixed it up, it'll ride almost like new and you'll find yourself liking it more than ever. I'll bet you can find some 105 shifters that would work great at a decent price. Get some new cables and housing, maybe some 105 derailleurs as long as your at it. Almost like getting a new bike but for much less money.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Check out probikekit.com and pricepoint.com for great deals on 105 components. Don't forget to get new cabling as well. You can even go 10sp vs. 9sp.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
I was in a similar situation recently...I have a 2001 LeMond Buenos Aires that I have loved and cared for since 2001. This year I decided to keep it and get new components, rather than try and sell to help with the purchase of a new bike. Fact is I bought a new bike anyway, but no matter: I wouldn't have gotten much for the LeMond, and now I have two great bikes and equipment is never a reason to miss a ride...in fact, the LeMond could still be my main ride and I would be happy. The main difference is that I went the other direction in components, from worn-out Ultegra 9-sp to brand new, very affordable Tiagra stuff that works great. I know it won't last as long, but I picked it up cheap and so far no complaints. Sure, 105 would be better, especially if it's going to be your primary ride, but either way you'll have a great frame with reliable components for not very much cash.

IMO I don't think it's worth it to bump up to 10 sp. I can hardly tell the difference, and all the parts cost more.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
if you like the bike find some new shifters. i've been watching ebay for pricing and need to post some 105's up there. you can get decent prices. i would think you could get shifters and derailleurs for under $300.

0 Posts
I have a LeMond Zurich, circa 2000 or 2001, also 853 steel. I updated most of the running gear (including wheels). Man, what a nice ride!

I'd keep the frame and swap out worn components. Biggest change for me -- the wheels. Nice frame and nice, 32-spoke wheels ... I'm riding happy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Keep the frame. Get the 105 shifters.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would go out and test ride some other bikes, but unless you *really* like the new bikes better I'd stick with the old one. It's difficult to find a bike you're really comfortable on.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Keep the frame and update.
Nashbar still has the Ultegra 6603 (triple) shifters for $150. That auction site for the RD and cassette, that should be ~$300 for the drive line. Then you will probably complete it with the remaining 6600 bits and new wheels. :)

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Upgrade sounds like the way to go. It seems that the consensus is that it is a worthy frame, and I agree. I just wondered if I was missing out from riding an older frame - I guess not. Also, over on mtbr.com people always seem to knock upgrades as a waste. I'll probably keep my eye out for some 9SP shifters (new) on ebay. I run a double up front and intend to keep it that way.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
So rare to get such a high rate of agreement for this sort of question: should be an easy decision:).

Post back and let us know how the upgrade goes!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a full Ultegra 6600 kit being taken off of my Madone this weekend I'd be glad to sell you at a good price if interested (10-spd, 53/39, 12-25). If interested shoot me a note-

·
Registered
603 Posts
Zipp0 said:
Upgrade sounds like the way to go. It seems that the consensus is that it is a worthy frame, and I agree. I just wondered if I was missing out from riding an older frame - I guess not. Also, over on mtbr.com people always seem to knock upgrades as a waste. I'll probably keep my eye out for some 9SP shifters (new) on ebay. I run a double up front and intend to keep it that way.

Thanks for all the input!
Well, you did say you "really like" the frame. The only way to know is to test ride other frames yourself, though! :)

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you think of putting on a 1" threadless headset and carbon fork with alloy steerer? (Cane Creek/Ritchey) Or just a Nashbar 1" threaded carbon fork for $74?

Worth the effort/money?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts