Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone can really answer this question or not, but just wondered what you thought. I have been riding a road bike since last year. I have over 280 miles in this year.

First off, I have been using an old pair of mtb shoes that were wearing out and using them with speedplay frogs. I just picked up a new pair of road shoes and mated them up with a pair of Time 226 pedals that came with my bike.

I went on my first ride with them today (about 12 miles) and my feet really hurt during and after the ride. I understand they might need to break in, but what hurt was the bottom outside of the foot. I figured the stiff shoes would be easier on my feet.

Is this normal?? I hope I get used to it in the next ride or so, because I am not looking forward to the 30+ mile rides with them. Not sure it part of it was the shoes or if the lack of float in the two types of pedals?

Thanks for the input!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
This is not good. Shoes are not supposed to hurt, even when brand new. Cycling shoes are made from materials that do not break in. I suspect that they might be too narrow. My suggestion is to check them out carefully to see that they fit properly. You might want to take a look at your socks too. Are they thick, thin, bunched up?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I don't buy that not breaking in thing...Either my Sidi's broke in or my feet broke in...All I know is when I got my Sidi Energy's they were UNCOMFORTABLE...Tight in the toebox and really major arch support...I had problems with my big toes going numb and basically was ready to toss them after a few rides...I gave a few more and then I started to notice that the toebox did not feel as cramped and the arch was not as noticeable....Also, the numbness was greatly reduced...

How knows what really happened, but I like the shoes now....

BTW I'm a noob to the road scene and these are my first road shoes...

Rich

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Like the poster below said, how do the shoes feel when you aren't on the bike?? If they truly fit good then you might be in need of some Lemond Wedges. Most people's feet have a natural tilt to them and clipless pedals force you to pedal with your feet flat. This can cause foot/knee/hip pains that the wedges (shims) can alleviate by adding the necessary tilt to the shoe.

Do a search on Lemond Wedges and you'll get a ton of hits...

Rich

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife has the same problem. We bought a used road bike with spd pedals. She goes for a ride wearing her old mountain bike shoes. 16 miles up to the local ski area,and then back down .:eek: ! When she got to the top she said the pain in her right foot was WORSE than when she gave birth. :( So, we go to the LBS, drop some cash for road shoes and some pedals. Shimano PD-R540, and Specialized Womens Torch Road. She then went for a ride and about 30 minutes in she experienced numbing in her right foot. She says that the shoes fit fine and there is not pressure on the sides of her feet. The pain is directly over the top part of the cleat. She has ridden mountain bikes for years with a little discomfort but nothing reaching the pain level she experienced the other day. Any ideas and or solutions will be greatly appreaciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
One standard fix is to move the cleat farther back, so that the pedal axle is closer to the back of the foot.
Thanks for the input. We ended up taking the shoes back. Went to a different LBS where we got excellent help and different shoes. The end result is a wider shoe, Pearl Izumi. She rode today mostly pain free!:D Yay!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. The shoes fit fine when not on the bike. I went out for another ride over the weekend and it was better. I still felt a little pain, but not near as bad. I made sure my cleats were adjusted correctly before I went out.

I think most of my pain is my feet not being used to such a hard/stiff sole and you use a few different muscles than what you normally do with other shoes.

Now I need to get used to a single sidded pedal entry and very slick shoes!! :mad2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.