Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My existing SIDIs (Look compatible) have seen their better days. Was looking for a new shoe that is Look compatible, light weight and most important comfortable.

I see alot of carbon shoes on the market. Is that the way to go?
Don't want to say price is no object, but because shoes last a long time and can make a difference in the ride, I want something I will be happy with.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
StuartHB said:
My existing SIDIs (Look compatible) have seen their better days. Was looking for a new shoe that is Look compatible, light weight and most important comfortable.

I see alot of carbon shoes on the market. Is that the way to go?
Don't want to say price is no object, but because shoes last a long time and can make a difference in the ride, I want something I will be happy with.

Any suggestions.

Thanks
Carbon soles will provide better stiffness and power transfer, but at the same time you might have issues with the lack of flex. The extreme stiffness of many carbon soles exacerbates any foot discomfort.

Having said that, if you are comfortable in Sidi shoes then I suggest not changing brands. This is a good time of year to pick up some deals on shoes, Competitive Cyclist has the Sidi Genius 6.6 Carbon on sale at $300. Yes, that's expensive but they retail for $420 plus! Be wary of the sizing, I think the newest Sidi shoes with full-carbon soles fit about 0.25-0.5 large. I have been a snug 43.5 for many years in Sidi shoes, but my Genius 6.6 in 43.5 are definitely a little longer. Probably not a half size, but a quarter size for sure. Sidi claims to have engineered its carbon sole to have a little flex under the toes and my experience is that they are perhaps a little more forgiving than say, Shimano.

Check out the following:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...sidi-genius-6.6-carbon-shoes-4483_5_TRUE.html

Another popular shoe is the Shimano R300 and its cousin the R220. These shoes are heat moldable in the heel/rear section and have heat moldable insoles. This has to be done at a Shimano authorized fit dealer, most shops waive the fee if the shoes are bought from the shop. They are not cheap at $350 and $250 respectively, but they give a level of customization above any other "stock" shoe on the market. The R300 seem very popular in the domestic racing scene. One thing about the Shimano shoes is that the carbon soles are VERY stiff. I can't imagine anything being stiffer.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The major advantage with Sidi road shoes is that everyone can buy replacement heels that screw in, and the third strap (near the ankle) you can buy everything to replace it. A few other road shoe manufacturers have a replacement heel.

Sidi road shoes last forever - I have a pair that are so beat up, and a half-size too small, but the fit is wonderful. Pearl Izumi, Scott, and DMT (especially the Mag soles) has some really light shoes if you want to buy some. You might get use out of them for less than four years.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Northwave (or something like that. Sorry I can't remember) is also a good shot.

DMT's

Specialized. Try a few out and see how they fit you and look.

Budget?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.