Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that my Sidi's were too small, so I got a new pair of Specialized Pro Carbon Road shoes (something a little different). Now I have to swap my Speedplay cleats, but I notice something :
On the Sidi's, the cleat sit's sort of flush to the sole of the shoe (there is a 'tunnel' for the plate to sit 'in'). On the Specialized, the sole is smooth, no 'tunnel' or indentation. It also appears that the sole has more 'thickness' than the Sidi's. So, what's my point? When I put the cleats on, there will be a thickness that was not previously there...that, added to the additional thickness of the Spec. sole...will require me to raise my seat...yes?...yes.
I will measure the new added thickness and raise the seat accordingly....I hope this does not mess up the setup. I mean, I am really comfortable on the bike the way it is set up....I hope this doesn't screw things up.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
I'd leave it.

IMO, the difference isn't worth making a change over. For one, you'll adapt in one or two rides to whatever difference there is. The other thing is that you don't know if the shoe soles are the exact same thickness unless you measure them with an outside caliper. Saddle height is never perfect anyway. For example, muscles shorten slightly during a hard and long ride, but no one (except Eddy Merckx perhaps) ever bothers to lower the saddle to accommodate for that.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Fine Tune

Psychler said:
...that, added to the additional thickness of the Spec. sole...will require me to raise my seat...yes?...yes.
Mark your current seat post position really well so you can return it where it was previoiusly. Move the seatpost for the measure difference. As you go on the next few rides carry an allen wrench in your pocket so it is really handy. Fine tune the adjustments mid ride until you find the sweet spot. Both my wife and I changed our saddle height when we went on vacation and used MTB shoes for touring instead of our regular road shoes.

In addition to changing shoes or pedals height adjustments may be necessary with a new saddle.

In theory your saddle to bar height difference will change too but this should be so nominal that it probably will not be necessary to make any adjustments.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
I wouldn't make changes to the bike set up based on shoe/ cleat measurements - too many variables.

If you have a stationary trainer hook the bike up, install the cleats to you new shoes and 'ride'. Obviously wear your cycling shorts, etc. otherwise the results are skewed. If needed, adjust saddle height.

If you don't have a stationary trainer install cleats to shoes, etc. and cruise around staying close to home. If adjustments are needed, make them, but slowly.

When I went from Shimano to Spec shoes I had to raise the seat about 3 mm's. It was far more difficult to get the new cleats positioned correctly. I'm not saying your experiences will be the same, but I doubt you'll need to make any bike adjustments other than to saddle height. And if you're in tune with your current set up, any needed changes will be apparent.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I would just leave it. I recently switched over to Assos bibs and thought I would need to lower the seat height a bit since the Assos chamois is much thicker than what I was used to before. It felt weird after the first ride, but after that I got adjusted to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I decided that my Sidi's were too small, so I got a new pair of Specialized Pro Carbon Road shoes (something a little different). Now I have to swap my Speedplay cleats, but I notice something :
On the Sidi's, the cleat sit's sort of flush to the sole of the shoe (there is a 'tunnel' for the plate to sit 'in'). On the Specialized, the sole is smooth, no 'tunnel' or indentation. It also appears that the sole has more 'thickness' than the Sidi's. So, what's my point? When I put the cleats on, there will be a thickness that was not previously there...that, added to the additional thickness of the Spec. sole...will require me to raise my seat...yes?...yes.
I will measure the new added thickness and raise the seat accordingly....I hope this does not mess up the setup. I mean, I am really comfortable on the bike the way it is set up....I hope this doesn't screw things up.
Any thoughts?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
17,380 Posts
I can say for sure that my winter bike shoes require me to raise the saddle about 3mm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.