Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Look cleats have a little ridge on the outside approx in the center of the cleat. When I set up a new pair of shoes, I compare the location of that ridge to my pedal spindle from a pair of shoes with the correct setup and use that to set the fore/aft location. For the angle of the front of the cleat relative to sole, I use the markers on the bottom of my Sidis, but since you seem to be going to a different brand of shoe, just start by eyeballing reference to the inside of the sole and go from there. It may take a bit of adjusting, but that should get you started.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
If you still have your old shoes and you are going to use your trainer, another thing I've done is to clip in one old shoe by itself and rotate the crank a few times with the shoe in as near the position you think you are in while pedaling to see the relationship of the heel to the crank and chainstay. Then try and relplicate that angle with your new shoe/cleat combo before you ever get on the bike. This may get you "in the ballpark" but, as noted above, only actually pedalling the bike and seeing how your legs feel with the new cleat position is the only way to get it where you need it for the long haul. After you are satisfied, crank down the bolts really tight so your cleats won't slip on the new soles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts