Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem. I bought some new shoes (Suplest) replacing my old DMT shoes. After adjusting the cleats and checking it many times I went for a very slow twenty minute ride. After I got back I noticed a little achilles pain, as well as little behind the inner knee on the right side. I have measured the thickness of the sole on both shoes and they are both even. Cleat placement is the best I can do based on the old shoe placement. I am using same saddle, pedals, cleats, and shorts. Ball of foot is over pedal axle. I have been riding for 26 years, been through many shoe changes and been riding on TIME pedals since 1990. Using TIME RSX pedals now.
I have never had any pain before making any shoe changes in all the years I have been riding. I was thinking it could be a break in period, but any pain doesn't seem right. I have no issues with the left leg. The cleat placement looks good, matched the left shoe to the right shoe. Clipped in the Q factor looks good. Everything looks right and I don't know where I could make any adjustment. Anyone have this issue and what was the remedy to resolve it. (if I ride with the old shoes everything is fine).

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
You are aware everybody's body structure changes in the course of their lifetime. This is true with a person's height and the feet size. I used to sell men's dress shoes and causal shoes like Bostonian, Johnston & Murphy, Cole-Haan, Clarks, Timberland and the likes. I remember during training, they mentioned a person might wear a size 10 when they are in their 20s, 30s, but their foot might expand width wise and they might have to go up 1/2 size. This could be from the bones in your foot thickening, or if you are on your feet alot during the day over the course of years and years.

So in your case, you might want to play around with the angle with the cleat of the right shoe. You could also adjust the seatpost height in small increment to see if that helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that after 4-5 years in the DMT's the arch might have flatten out? Maybe the new shoes have a better arch and the heel cup is tighter? If this is the case why wouldn't the left leg have the same problem?....... Thanks for the help.

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
I don't think it's related to the arch. Inner knee pain have to do with the angle alignment of the cleat. Sounds like your knee is pointing at an angle when you pedal thus causing the pain. The only time I experience with Achilles pain was last year when I was running down hill too fast during training. I winded up injuring myself for 2-3 weeks and could even jog.

·
I ride in circles..
4,645 Posts
I just went from a 4 year old pair of Specialized comp road shoes to their 2012 S-Works shoes. Went 1/2 of a size down so they're much more snug but still comfy. I noticed some ankle pain for the first few rides simply because they were new shoes. Also took about 5 rides to get my cleats set up where I wanted them. First ride they were too far forward.

On another note.. your new shoes might align your foot differently. Some shoes are flatter than others. Some like the spesh shoes try to align the knee to increase comfort and efficiency. So you'll likely need to take that into account as well.

338 Posts
I had major foot issues and tried multiple pairs of shoes over the past 5-7 years. What finally helped me was the ergon tool. I wouldn't spend the $20 + regular price, but I picked one up when I had a bunch of amazon points for nothing. The thing is you could easily come up w/ a makeshift one to help determine the positioning and have somethign to come back to. Using graph paper and outlining the cleat position w/ horizontal and vertical axes for reference really made a difference. It also helped when I had to make an adjustment, so I had some reference as to where I started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What Robert1 said. It is very, very difficult to get cleat placement on a new (different) shoe right by yourself. Finding the metatarsals while wearing the shoes and with any kind of normal weight distribution is, well, challenging.

I'd also suggest ball of foot ahead of spindle, by about 1 cm. This will keep it ahead of the spindle even when you drop your heel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What Robert1 said. It is very, very difficult to get cleat placement on a new (different) shoe right by yourself. Finding the metatarsals while wearing the shoes and with any kind of normal weight distribution is, well, challenging.

I'd also suggest ball of foot ahead of spindle, by about 1 cm. This will keep it ahead of the spindle even when you drop your heel.
I will take a look. Not to much play fore to aft on the cleats. I think having two diffrent shoe MFG's make it very hard to line it all up. I think I will try to push the cleat forward, and measure it against the left cleat placement. Left leg not giving me any problems, it was just a little sore. I think a little soreness is normal, but pain is not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will take a look. Not to much play fore to aft on the cleats. I think having two diffrent shoe MFG's make it very hard to line it all up. I think I will try to push the cleat forward, and measure it against the left cleat placement. Left leg not giving me any problems, it was just a little sore. I think a little soreness is normal, but pain is not.
You shouldn't expect the cleat placement to be the same on both shoes. I know, none of this stuff is as straightforward as we would like.

Can you get to an LBS and have them help you dial in your fore/aft?

Another thought: the pain behind your knee could indicate that your saddle height is also off. Maybe your soles in your new shoes are not the same thickness as your old ones.

Changing shoes is the worst. Lots of things to get a handle on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.