Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new pair of shoes that will be used for MTB as well as cross.
My 1st choice is the Specialized BG Carbon Pro shoes, but I am concerned about the meshing may end up being too cold for cross (Mid-Atlantic Region). I like the fit of these shoes (I have the road shoe version). Think I would just be better off getting Sidis without the meshing? I have been using Sidis for the past few seasons but decided to sell them (they were a size too big). Anyone using shoes for cross with the meshing for ventilation and find the are too cold for cross in colder climants?

KMan

·
tdiclub Member
417 Posts
once your feet get wet, you're screwed regarding freezing temps. Lucky that the races are 30min- 1 hour depending on your race level. You run to your car tear off clothes and warm up.
It seems that most go with a lorica shoe, such as sidi, northwave and I think Tim Johnson wears adidas marathon (not sure if they're lorcia).
Also the higher wool defeet socks are becomming popular, they are nice and toasty.
I guess the other thing to think about is what shoes tend to have more water retention.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought the BG Comp MTB shoe probably around 4 months ago. We had a cold spell here that allowed me to hit the trails on my cross bike and ride through the snow (quite unheard of in these parts). The meshing did provide too much airflow in the cold weather. It'll be great in the heat but I took to wearing toe warmers - which I wouldn't do in technical riding or cross racing.

Sad too because I absolutely love these shoes. They fit better than my Sidi road shoes and better than my old Carnac MTB shoes...

Sidis fit really differently. The toe is narrow on them - unlike the Specialized - which is what I like about the specialized.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sidi Dominators

Good construction and flexible enough to run in, yet still stiff enough when you are back on the bike. I have an old pair of Specialized shoes that I think are too stiff.

·
Registered
377 Posts
the Specialized shoe is good, but I somehow managed to puncture the mesh? Probably a chain ring. My only comment around MTB/Cross shoes is that I prefer shoes with a ratchet as they always stay cloesed when wet or muddy. The velcro can be a problem in those conditions.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
jeremyb said:
i just got these today from performance----$63 in the stores for all sizes.
Do they take toe spikes? If not, you'll be bumming.

Speaking of toe spikes, I really like the Sidi spikes but I think they are too long for some races. I got another set and took the Dremmel to them and now I have a short and long pair. For the cheapskates, head to the hardware store and get some threaded rod. Cut to length and install. Don't forget to thread on a keeper nut though ...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Soccer cleats

all use the same thread pitch as mtb shoes. Go to your local sporting goods store and check out the myriad of soccer studs available to choose from for very reasonable prices.

·
Frites en Mayo Velo Club
226 Posts
If you can find the DMT R3 cross/mtb shoes. They are super nice and comfortable. Comes with soccer plastic spikes. The sole of the shoe is not superstiff like a high end mtb shoe so running in it is a little easier. The old distributor was a guy named Jose at Bicycle World in CA. Phone is 805-524.2005. I got mine on a killer deal.

I have no idea if he has any left though.

Good luck

Rich

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Unoveloce said:
all use the same thread pitch as mtb shoes. Go to your local sporting goods store and check out the myriad of soccer studs available to choose from for very reasonable prices.
Tried 'em. Think they don't work well. I like real spikes. Soccer cleats are too chunky.

·
Perpetual Three
677 Posts
Gotta vote for SIDI shoes here. I've raced the same pair of Dominators for five years - first on a mountain bike, then started cross last year. (yeah, I need some new shoes). What I love is what was mentioned above, you can actually run in these shoes. In an adventure race a few years back we had to run about 10k to a checkpoint without our bikes and I did it in the SIDIs. Didn't get a single blister or hot spot. You can't do that in carbon soled super shoes. I get an employee discount on Nike shoes, and I use them for road, but thier stiff soles just don't work well for me in cross.

-sf

·
Registered
348 Posts
KMan said:
I am looking to get a new pair of shoes that will be used for MTB as well as cross.
My 1st choice is the Specialized BG Carbon Pro shoes, but I am concerned about the meshing may end up being too cold for cross (Mid-Atlantic Region). I like the fit of these shoes (I have the road shoe version). Think I would just be better off getting Sidis without the meshing? I have been using Sidis for the past few seasons but decided to sell them (they were a size too big). Anyone using shoes for cross with the meshing for ventilation and find the are too cold for cross in colder climants?

KMan
Mid-Atlantic is cold climate? Even in the coldest races last couple of years here I don't remember having any issues with my feet- Nationals maybe... isn't Providence New England though? Anyway, why not just put on some warm wool socks under those too-big Sidis, who's gonna buy a pair of shoes several seasons old anyway? Anything carbon sounds too stiff for my taste- imagine running up a set of concrete steps in them? FWIW, I did a couple of races last season in a new pair of Nike Canarso's- I found them somewhere online for about $60 (can't remember where, and they only had my size 41, sorry). Anyway they're great, super light, water-resistant, no mesh (a bit hot for Summer) stiff enough but I can run in them, up those steps, and feel confident that I won't slip. No way I'd pay full price @ $250 for them though unless they had rearward-shooting flamethrowers or something. My other pair are Lake mx 165's- these are a little heavy for racing cross, but very comfortable with an aggressive vibram sole with a wider stable heel for hike-a-bikes, more an all day adventure shoe, perfect for Ironcross, and good 2nd backups for rainy weekends with multiple races- I hate putting on wet shoes.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2003/reviews/nike_carnerso
http://bluecollarmtb.com/2005/10/12/lake-mx165-shoe-review/

·
Registered
484 Posts
spacemanrides said:
the Specialized shoe is good, but I somehow managed to puncture the mesh? Probably a chain ring. My only comment around MTB/Cross shoes is that I prefer shoes with a ratchet as they always stay cloesed when wet or muddy. The velcro can be a problem in those conditions.

I ripped the mesh also and returned them to the dealer. They talked to the Specialized rep and replaced them. I've found that with the wool Defeet socks they are warm enough. A big thing with shoes is to find some that fit you well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.