Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so when I bought my new bike (Specialized Secteur Comp) last week the fitters were having a laugh at my Cannondal cycling shorts due to the fact that they had some graphic that dated the shorts to the early 90's.

So probably time to "update" my wardrobe!

What should a man be looking for in good shorts (besides the obvious body parts) for recreational road riding in the 50mi range. You see all kinds of stuff with chamois and padding and gel, etc, etc. High-tech? Low-tech? What's going to maximize comfort and performance?

Thanks in advance - Ray

·
Registered
599 Posts
I personally like the Pearl Izumi attack shorts, some complain the padding is too thick, but I think it's a butt saver. lol Check 'em out!

·
Registered
77 Posts
LG Sensor Fit

I got some cheap shorts last year after not having any for 20 years or so. It turned out that I grabbed the wrong size and didn't like the leg grippers.

The only shorts I found at the time without grippers were the LG Sensor Fit. This time I tried them on first.

Since then, I've worn the Sensors every time. After 53 miles yesterday, the only thing that didn't hurt was where the chamois rides.

They are on the high end price wise, but I can definitely recommend them. They are cheaper than the PI's my wife picked out.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm currently on 3 pairs of Pearl Izumi Attack shorts, as well as some cheap Canari stuff from Dicks. The PI's hold up better.

My current top shorts are PI Attack bib's, which having read about bib's on the assorted forums, decided to try. Did a 40 miler Sat. on my new pair and was impressed enough to go buy a 2nd pair. They do indeed fit better, holding the "parts" tighter with less chance for chafing and generally fit tight enough (and tighter then regular shorts) to help prevent chafing where I occasionally get some on regular shorts.

Sold on bibs now, after 22 riding seasons.

SB

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you want a thin pad, like you probably have now? Boure is very good.

Several people on this board have expressed displeasure at gel pads.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oroy38 said:
Bought a pair of Assos bibs several years ago and haven't looked back.
Did they negatively impact range of motion for your neck?

:aureola:

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Many great shorts out there from: Performance, Sugoi, Pearl Izumi, Assos, LG, and also (can't remeber the company) a 400 mile short. Try them on and see what you like!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Every pair of shorts/bibs fit people differently. You'll probably have to try out several and end up with some lost in your closet. Another good brand to try out is Voler.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Not at all. They're more comfy that regular shorts because the eliminate the tight waistband & never slip/creep down to expose your plumber's butt.]
The wide waistband and lycra keep that from happening, and they're cut high in the back.
Maybe possible if one were very obese and had a cheap/ill fitting pair.

In my case, I don't even know the shorts are there. Whereas bibs I'm always feeling them on my abdomen, shoulders and back. And in summer they're hotter.

But horses for courses!

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
I'd try a variety of brands and then stick with what works for you. For everyday riding, I'm really digging the 3D-OF chamois in my Vermarc bibs (also used in some Giordana bibs). I'm also having great luck with some Descente and Hincapie mid-line bibs. My Rapha and Assos bibs are proving to be worth every penny as well.

I used to wear Pearl Izumi bibs exclusively, but for some reason every model and vintage I have started chafing me this year. Great material, but after about 20 miles they started really doing a number on me. I have some cheaper bibs from various sources that also don't get much use anymore for the same reason.

Everyone is different, so just go with works for you. There are a lot of really good bibs out there on the internet for pretty cheap if you take the time to look. I got a pair of new Vermarc Quick Step bibs for $50 off of eBay. I don't particularly have any great connection with the team, but I'll pimp anyone if it gets me cheap kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts