Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got my sidi genius 5s in the mail. I currently have a pair of dominators. The Genius is just not as comfortable as the domintors. There is a noticeable difference in the arch which is whats bothering me. Am I crazy... i was expecting the awesome comfort that I've grown to love with my dominators only to have a shoe with too high of an arch support.

luckily I haven't mounted cleats or rode with them so I will probably send them back. Now the question is what is a shoe that doesn't have as high of an arch. I do not have flat feet just an average arch... what about the 5.5 carbons or the ergos? are those built on the same last or are they worth a try?

· Registered
339 Posts
Tough call on whether you send them back or not? My Sidi experience was the opposite in which the shoes fit like slippers initially but had problems an hour or so into my rides. I ended up using an old pair of replacement insoles with more arch support than the ones that came with the shoes and all is good now.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
???

I don't see how you can decide that a shoe will be uncomfortable on the bike without mounting cleats on them and riding. Standing in the shoes, with pressure on your heels is not how bike shoes are used.

I've owned three Genius models over a 10 year period and they all fit about the same. They do have fairly high arches built in, but I've got high arches, so I've never had too much arch support.

I suffer from some sort of tendinitis problem in my feet, so I need good arch support. This year I bought Rocket 7 shoes that have no built in arch support. These shoes really need a properly fitting footbed added to them, since they come with only a thin foam insole with nothing but an extra layer of the same foam in the arch area. I bought Sole heat formable insoles and they seem to work for me.

Next year I may splurge and get some D2 custom shoes. For anyone with a foot problem, they are the ulitmate solution.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C-40 I understand where you're coming from and I initially had that thought too but then I did a side by side comparison with my dominators and those felt fine whether i was seated or standing. For what its worth I had the shoes on for over an hour, mostly sitting on the couch watching tv with the occasional stand up and walk around, which was alot harder to do than it is in the dominators.

anyways I might suck it up and just mount the cleats and ride them.. in the mean time I'll shop for another shoe...

· Registered
3,477 Posts
For what it is worth, I use SuperFeet insoles in both my Dominators and Dragons to make them more comfortable than the supplied insole. But the SuperFeet provide more arch support on an otherwise pretty flat footbed, so that may be a moot point.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
smokey0066 said:
Thanks Fred, My sidis are about 10yrs old. so that could account for the difference.

oh, hell yeah, they will def fit a bit differently... IIRC my size even changed when they changed lasts, and that was going from Genius 3s to G4 or G4 to G5 or something. Dominators changed as well, and you can tell they are different by just looking at how the soles changed.

· Registered
1,558 Posts
Funny, I thought the sidi's have virtually no arch support, unless you have virtually no arch:)
My Genius are 6 years old, and my wide feet have stretched them out like crazy. I've been using power soles for the past 3 or 4 years. They take a little while to break in, but they form to your feet. I recommend them to anyone with curvy feet.
I'm due for some new shoes, and at some point I'm going to get some megas. I'm sold on Sidi's. When they fit, the feel like slippers (that are hard to walk in.) I agree with C40, cycling shoe fit should only be determined on the bike. -By the way mine were initially uncomfortable - poor support.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.