Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so glad I quit years ago, this could get interesting. Today at work they announced smoking is prohibited on the hospital campus. That's a whole lot of real estate...

I'll be interested to see how well they enforce this.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Last week a new couple moved into my next-door neighbor's basement apartment. They smoke on their stoop constantly. I can smell it inside my house. It sucks.

I'd like to institute some new smoking rules of my own.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
There's a similar ban on the university hospital campus here. I'd say it's about as effective as an on-you-honor cannabis ban at a Phish concert.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I'm not complaining. Previously the rule was no smoking within 25 feet of any building.

Alex, I feel for you. My neighbor down the street used to smoke in his front yard, it would drift down into my bedroom window. Can you talk to them, tell them it's affecting Otie?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Tell them that Otis has juvenile asthma and that he's been sick since they've been doing it. I've used that gambit a couple of times, only true morons will keep it up if there's a child involved.

Doesn't work - bucket of water out the second floor.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is actually quite a bit of parking. Couple of lots, and three multi-story parking garages (you can't see one, it wasn't built when The Google made the view)

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
I'm all for it as I absolutely abhor cigarette smoke. Unfortunately, most people just ignore the countless posted signs telling them they cannot smoke on university hospital property. The irony is that many of the people that do smoke are at the hospital because they smoke or will end needing treatment there eventually because of their nasty habit.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
terry b said:
Tell them that Otis has juvenile asthma and that he's been sick since they've been doing it. I've used that gambit a couple of times, only true morons will keep it up if there's a child involved.

Doesn't work - bucket of water out the second floor.
That's a thought.

The older couple who lived there before used to set out cat food for our local feral cat population. Of course this drew raccoons, possums and skunks. The cats were always getting gassed by the skunks right outside my living room. Jackson took a couple shots to the face in our backyard too.

The cigarettes are a major improvement.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
Last week a new couple moved into my next-door neighbor's basement apartment. They smoke on their stoop constantly. I can smell it inside my house. It sucks.

Smells like pot to me. You should call the authorities.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:

Sneak out late at night and pee on their stoop. Every night.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
snapdragen said:
There is actually quite a bit of parking. Couple of lots, and three multi-story parking garages (you can't see one, it wasn't built when The Google made the view)

at our hospital it's mass dash and grab between 0630 and 07. Looks like a huge bumper- car festival.

One time I was in such a hurry I forgot to set my parking brake on my truck...yeeeaww, parking lot dudes came and found me a half hour later. :(

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
i'm surprised it took that long to institute something like there. i work with the anti-smoking czar and she was able to practically get a whole town to ban smoking. about the only place you can smoke is in your detached, single family home, and even then...

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I really love the smoking bans. When I joined the Navy in 1985, we got a "smoke and coke" which meant we were herded into a small room with two coke machines and no ventilation. If you didn't smoke (like me), you squatted down to stay out of the smoke while you enjoyed your coke. For the first five years of my career, I smelled like cigarette smoke.

·
Lincolns!
1,840 Posts
When I originally joined the Army in 1990, smoking hadn't been banned in buildings the Army used in Germany. Out of (semi) respect, the only people that smoked in the building were those that had their own office.

I saw the hassle coming as early as the age of three and decided to skip smoking and stick with chewing tobacco so I can spit constantly and have clear plastic bottles full of my brown saliva. Usually when the bottle gets knocked over, the cap is on.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
"Previously the rule was no smoking within 25 feet of any building"

We've got a 10 foot rule. (and there's no overhang to protect them from the rain)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
They instituted a ban at our Hosp a while back. It's supposed to include everything like yours but the sorry-azzed smokers still smoke outside the ER on the sidewalk (which is technically verboden). Makes me laff when I hear a "code ****" meaning a patient is unaccounted for. 99% chance they're outside smoking; IV poal and all....

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
firstrax said:
Smells like pot to me. You should call the authorities.
When I lived in the seminary, the student whose room was below me used to enjoy some pot from time to time. In the spring and fall it'd be hot in the room so I'd use a fan in one window to circulate air - it would pull his smoke from his room below into mine. That was always interesting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.