Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a new set of wheels from Spin Lite today. Dura Ace hubs (FH-7800 rear) and Velocity Aerohead hubs. Can't wait for them to get here :) My current set of wheels are Shimano WH-R550s with a 105 10 speed cassette and less than 200 miles on them.

I'd like to take the 105 cassette and put on the new wheels. Other than convienence of having a cassette on my backup set of wheels, do you see any good reason to upgrade? I don't really want to fork out the $$ on a Dura Ace cassette, and the Ultegra seems to be only a nomimal difference....

I'm new to the road biking scene and would appreciate any help/comments. Thanks

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
It's conveinent to have a cassette on each rear wheel. Cassettes are consumeables anyhow. But with more than one cassette you need to replace your chain when it gets worn rather than leave it and let it wear the cassette like some do.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Two questions in one

floxy said:
I'd like to take the 105 cassette and put on the new wheels. Other than convienence of having a cassette on my backup set of wheels, do you see any good reason to upgrade? I don't really want to fork out the $$ on a Dura Ace cassette, and the Ultegra seems to be only a nomimal difference.
As ericm979 said, it is convenient to have a cassette on each wheel, and of course every time you remove and swap, it's one more chance to have a problem with worn lockring threads, etc.

That said, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO reason to run a DA cassette. You save a tiny bit of weight, spend hugely more money, and the Ti cogs wear out faster, but the shifting is no better. You can get Ultegra if you want, but lots of people do just fine and report no isses/problems with 105.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Floxy-

I have a pair SpinLite built wheels. King/Velocity AeroHeads. They build a good wheel. It's held up well with little attention needed.

brewster

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brewster said:
Floxy-

I have a pair SpinLite built wheels. King/Velocity AeroHeads. They build a good wheel. It's held up well with little attention needed.

brewster
Good to hear. I'm just getting in to road biking and didn't want to drop the extra $$ for King (although that's what I wanted). Got a good deal on a closeout Dura Ace hub so they should be very nice wheels at a good price...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.