Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so currently I ride an SE Draft. It was nice for the price but once I learned more about bikes I realized it was the wrong size and that I wanted to upgrade. Im selling that bike to my roommate (the right size) and am looking to get a new SS.

This is where I need help. Up until a little bit ago I had it somewhat narrowed down to two bikes: IRO Mark V or Surly Steamroller. I do not ride fixed but am definitely going to give it a whirl once I officially move into the city. I do like that the IRO frame has back brake mounts but apparently it isnt so tough to drill my own back brake mount for the Surly. Now, i've been checking out more companies and like the Cannondale Capo, but dont know too much about it. I will be riding the bike everyday to classes and most likely to friends houses and around the city. Eventually I plan on doing some delivery work for restaurants and things of that nature (nothing super serious). What I need help with is deciding which frame is right for me. Budget isnt a huge issue but I would like to be as thrifty as possible. Help. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Honestly, the market for ss/fixed in your price range is very crowded....You arelly can't go wrong with any of the bikes as long as they are drilled for front/rear brakes since you want to run SS...

Check out Masi bikes..They have some of the coolest SS bikes being sold today
What the man said. A lot of good choices.

As for Masi, they certainly aren't the cheapest but their lineup is very nice. We "sold through" the full size run of the Speciale Fixed "Limited Edition" (at $850 retail) in a matter of weeks.

If I didn't have my Fuso conversion I would have snapped up a Shamrock Green Speciale Fixed in a heartbeat. A nicer riding bike would be hard to find (in my humble opinion!)

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
As said, SS/Fixies are limited only on your budget.

I mean I remember a folklore of this... X-Mas Colored Cannondale... I believe it was a CADD7 frame? And this folklore tells of this bicycle weighing 14 lbs, and everyone in the universe loved it for it's EYEstounding color combination of red and green with I believe... green zip ties for the computer sensor on the Ritchey WCS fork. The lore speak of it costing about $2500+ but then again... I hear this is just folklore...

Anyways, for starters, you can always pickup any of the SE bikes, bikesdirect motobecane, hit craigslist for a cheap one, or your local shop.

Plenty of bike companies, like Felt for example, are jumping the boat on SS/Fixie since apparently this is what's really popular now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.