Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the guys at work had some purple Onza Chill Pills, a great addition. Last time I set canti brakes up was on my mountain bike as a kid, I used to lower the straddle cable for the most power possible. I think I went a bit low with the Chill Pills, the brakes feel a bit spongy and have enough power to force you to dismount very quickly.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After much deliberating I settled on a new Cross Check for my daily-driver / training bike, with the intention of riding dirt roads, maybe a little singletrack, and commuting to work.

I wanted a red frame, but alas, Henry Ford struck again.

A big thanks to David at Cycle Supplies (the NZ importer) for putting up with all my questions and helping me select a frame.

Its a real bitsa: Ultegra cranks, 550 brakes, DA front mech, Veloce rear, Chorus 10 shifters, Record pedals, Thomson post and stem, King headset.

Rides really well on the road, better than I expected. I'll get the cross wheels on it soon and get it dirty. The slack headtube angle feels a bit strange when you stand out of the saddle, feels like the bike wants to fall over for a second, might take some getting used-to. Even with 23c tyres it does a great job of smoothing out the rough chip roads that cover New Zealand, and the geometry is lovely and comfortable to ride. I think some 28c on road / off road tyres would be perfect....

Considering the frame and fork weigh 3400 grams it would be hard to make it light, but at under 10 kilos (22 pounds) I'm pretty happy, especially considering the size!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Very nice! ...and quite familiar, I just got my 60cm black cross-check this week. Mine isn't going to be quite as road oriented as yours though. I've been building up my wheels last night and today, Salsa Delgado Crosses laced to XT hubs. My first wheelbuild and it's going pretty good. Anyhow, old LX canti's, SRAM X7 trigger shifter drivetrain and a single front ring (1x9) on a old coda crank. Probably going to use on-one Mary bars. It's going to be a dirt/gravel road bike that could also do a little moderate singletrack when it wants to. I'm shooting for 22lbs, but I'm not so sure I'll make it, the fork alone weighed more than a lot of frames these days! It's my second Surly and I'm amazed again at how well made these frames are for the money. Sure they're a bit heavy, but I like that I can beat the crap out of it and not think twice about it, because the whole bike won't even cost what a new D/A crankset would set you back.

I'll have to take some shots of mine when it gets done, to show how differently the same frame can be built up.

Nice Surly! :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Very nice, I just got a 2001 cross check I bought used this week, also. I'm running it 1x9 until I can get my stuff together and turn it into a fixed/SS. It'll be for commuting and trails until I try a cross race next fall/winter.

Mine is that nice vomit green they used to make. I'm really happy with it so far even though I've only had a chance to run it around the neighborhood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts