Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if anyone saw the announcement a few days ago, but essentially 4 lines for 160 with unlimited data.

That is 100 a month less than I am paying for vzw for 10g.

I am a really long time vzw customer, but this is lots of money. Verizon always had superior coverage, but I am pretty much in a major city of major blurb, within say 50 miles of I 95 anywhere on the east coast.

Anyone using t mo in these regions care to comment on their reception and speeds.

Maybe by now t mobile coverage is ok.

I used to travel lots for work and reception was critical, but now don't really travel much and am in the areas described.

Sent from my KFTBWI using Tapatalk

·
Proud luddite
7,225 Posts
We've been T-Mobile customers for years....at least the 10 years that the missus and I have been married and she was with them before that. Service here in the Tucson area has always been fine, the plans we've had have been cheap, customer service is fine, no glitches with billing or service....no problems at all.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm in the Baltimore-DC corridor, no issues since about 2010, save for a few buildings here and there. I kept my at&t phone for about a year as I made sure T-Mo had decent coverage where I went. I actually had more "drops" on Verizon, with the original Droid, than with any other carrier...and I'm within 10 miles from 3 Verizon office buildings.

I will get service while in elevators with TMo, when my coworkers, on other carriers, would not...just depends on the area.

Also, keep in mind that not all phones' reception capabilities are made equal. Just make sure you at least get a phone which has LTE "band 12", for better signal penetration in buildings.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a t-mobile acct. I find reception isn't as good as Verizon. I get 4g data some places but only edge others. It does have a good feature that you have both voice and data in Europe so you don't have to buy a SIM card there, as long as you aren't crazy about the amount of calling you do. I have supposedly unlimited data. I rarely use the data but did need it on a vacation/trip I did a couple weeks ago. Turns out unlimited data only means data for the phone itself. I was using it as a wireless accesspoint and got a text warning that my hotspot data was about used for the month and once I hit the limit I would be rationed (for hotspot, not for data to the phone). Don't know if this new plan is the same as my existing plan (haven't checked but I thought it might be cheaper even for a single line acct).

scott s.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've been on T-Mobile's $30 (5GB 4G + 100 minutes) pre-paid plan for a few years. Coverage and speed by NYC is fine and I've had no problem traveling. Customer service has also been fine. My only concern is T-Mobile likes to put an asterisk next to "unlimited."

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I'm on Google's Project Fi network which piggybacks the Sprint and T-Mobile networks. I used to be on Sprint, and in areas where that carrier typically did not have good coverage, the T-Mobile coverage on my new setup has been fine.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
I'm also on Project Fi and when it's on Tmobile (most of the time) it actually seems better than my Verizon coverage did most places I go (central CT). But I also changed phones when I left Verizon so that may have to do with it. Phones vary greatly in their ability to receive so best to mention what device you plan to use.

I'm on Google's Project Fi network which piggybacks the Sprint and T-Mobile networks. I used to be on Sprint, and in areas where that carrier typically did not have good coverage, the T-Mobile coverage on my new setup has been fine.
Yeah. And US Cellular is also on the list now. I've actually had it bounce on all three on a recent trip to Maine.

I've been on Project Fi for about 2 months and it kicks a$$ in my area. I was on Verizon but coverage actually seems better on Tmob. The added bonus of Sprint or even US Cellular being used when needed is great. For when it auto-connects to open WiFi the automatic VPN (Google WiFi assistant VPN) is another great feature too. I love my Nexus phone (5X) but Goog's got to figure out a way to open Fi up officially to more devices for it to really catch on.

I'm also a BIG proponent of "pay for what you use" rather than over buying data or getting throttled. I also don't use a lot of data. If you use more than 5 or 6 G a month and/or need a family plan then Fi's probably not for you. Otherwise it's best I've found and cheapest too. The idea that there are ABSOLUTELY ZERO catches, gotchas, overages, is truly great. Never, ever, ever, having to talk to a carrier or go into a carrier store....bliss !!!

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I've been fairly happy with T-Mobile. Sure, when I go camping in remote areas my coverage stinks. I've also had bad reception in Conneticut (specifically the Tolland area, though).
They do offer a money back guarantee if you're not happy, so I say give it a try. As far as the previous post of nickel and diming, that's the main reason I left Verizon. Want visual voicemail? That's extra. City ID? Extra. Advanced ID is extra on T-Mobile too, but I'm using a free app that works perfectly, even lets me block spam calls.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
I've been on Google Fi for almost a year, T-mobile before that, both I picked for their WiFi call ability, which Google seems to be doing a better job with (no more dropped calls when the WiFi goes out). Google Fi is awesome if you travel internationally, it's saved me a bundle in Europe, Canada, and Central America. Having said that the coverage is nowhere near that of Verizon within the US. Verizon has the best network period. If your goal is reliability (you have no landline) you should go with Verizon for sure.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
I've been on Google Fi for almost a year, T-mobile before that, both I picked for their WiFi call ability, which Google seems to be doing a better job with (no more dropped calls when the WiFi goes out). Google Fi is awesome if you travel internationally, it's saved me a bundle in Europe, Canada, and Central America. Having said that the coverage is nowhere near that of Verizon within the US. Verizon has the best network period. If your goal is reliability (you have no landline) you should go with Verizon for sure.
I am considering making the jump. I have Verizon, but live down in a black hole near the I95 corridor. I often can't make a phone call or send a text from my house. With FI, I would solve all that with my phone being able to use my wifi.

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
I am considering making the jump. I have Verizon, but live down in a black hole near the I95 corridor. I often can't make a phone call or send a text from my house. With FI, I would solve all that with my phone being able to use my wifi.
It's really nice not being tied to a contract. The obvious downside is you have to buy a phone outright and don't get a discount like you do with contracts. However, Fi offers credits for rollover data. I signed up for 2GB of data, but in my first month I only used 480MB, so I got a $15 credit on next month's bill.

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
It's really nice not being tied to a contract. The obvious downside is you have to buy a phone outright and don't get a discount like you do with contracts. However, Fi offers credits for rollover data. I signed up for 2GB of data, but in my first month I only used 480MB, so I got a $15 credit on next month's bill.
The phone deals being offered with a contract is pretty much a thing of the past. You either make payments during the contract or you buy it up front. I don't mind buying the phone for FI but do wish they had more phone choices other than Nexus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts