Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would've happened if Cadel, or any other contenders instead of playing the attack game on alp du huez, (yeah, I can't spell), just road it like a TT, like Sastre.. Sostre just got in a rythm and went full tilt. I mean there were so many attack and slow downs going on that I'm sure CSC was using that as a tactic as a means of slowing down the chase.. If Evans had've just ridden his race to the top, would he have lost as much time to Sostre? Just a thought.. Seems like to me, you'd be more consistant and be a lot smoother..

· Registered
930 Posts
It wouldn't have mattered much, seconds gained perhaps, but not a minute or anything close to it. Cadel just didn't have anyone to help him -- Denis Menchov had no benefit to pull the group up. It was simply all up to Cadel to make up the gap and he couldn't match a true mountain climber who was launched with fresh legs.

G

·
jd3 said:
Evans might have been able to ride up the Alp faster, but he fell for Frank and Andy's game.
Well he only marked him for ~1/3 of the climb, then he (or his director) wized up, but it was too late.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
if SL had sent popo, or someone, up the road in a fake break to wait for when cadel when the time came, he might have had a chance. but with the schlecks up there, he was out gunned. they could have attacked him all day, burning out his legs, until sastre could fire away. and so many were close in GC contention, that nobody was gonna make any deals.

oh, wait. thats what they did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.