Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone think the new tiagra is as good as the old 105 ? I am thinking of buying a cannnondale r6 double with tiagra/105 for fd/rd and tiagra shifters---it weighed 19.16 lbs with pedals after a test... the shfiters seemed okay but I wonder if they will last ?

·
Banned
14,487 Posts
bruni94 said:
Does anyone think the new tiagra is as good as the old 105 ? I am thinking of buying a cannnondale r6 double with tiagra/105 for fd/rd and tiagra shifters---it weighed 19.16 lbs with pedals after a test... the shfiters seemed okay but I wonder if they will last ?
The bike snops will tell you otherwise, but I'm old and practcal and maintain a whole stable of other people's bikes, and IME Tiagra is just fine.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Depends on your use. If you're gonna clean your bike all the time, it should be fine. If not, or if you do a lot of riding, or plan on racing... no way. Tiagra will break.

Otherwise, for recreation, Tiagra is more than enough.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you're the type of rider that puts on 2500 to 3500 miles a year, Tiagra will work just fine. It might wear out in 4 to 5 years, but it will just give you an excuse to upgrade to "better" components, or a "better" bike.
If you plan to put on 6000 to 7000 miles a year, and race on it, it may only last two years. If that's the case, I would go with full 105.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have Tiagra levers on my Specialized Tricross. Two years of commuting through Irish (read rain) weather and winter weekend spins and the levers are still working (and looking) like new. Last summer we had rain almost every day and the bike was soaked twice a day.
In fact the cheap derailleurs are also looking and working like new. I have 105 on my good bike and I really don't notice a difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies

I only plan to do 1000 miles a year on this bike because I have three others and I do not race but do like to go fast and the caad9 seems made for speed---the new tiagra seems to shift better than the 2000 tiagra I had on the trek 2000 for three years although that was a triple the double seems to shift as well as old 105

·
Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but

for those who say Tiagra will break faster, what makes it so? Are there specific parts that are made with plastic instead of steel or aluminum?

Always wondered myself, since components get lighter as you move up the gruppo scale, which would seem to mean more plastic and aluminum over steel, etc.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
It just seems the lower component parts get iffy quicker than the higher end ones.

Like most people wouldn't be able to tell how fast DA is versus Sora... when clean... but after say... several thousand shifts... and a bit of neglect... stuff starts showing it's age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.