Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kicking around the idea of building a time trial/ tri bike for the hell of it. I considered Chucks bikes and other low cost options. I checked Ebay last night and found this frame. It's a NOS Gitane funny bike. 650c front/700c rear wheel. The auction just ended and I won the frame for $79.88 including shipping.

Now I have to gather some old retro cowhorn bars and aero wheels. I'm planning to build it period correct(late 80's).

Ebay item: 3661153143

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
how cool is that?

totally awesome dave. i would love to have a funny bike like that one.

in related news, i'm going to ebay my QR tri bike. it's not speaking to me like the others. should be able to get my money back out of it, as well as i shopped.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
J's Haiku Shop said:
totally awesome dave. i would love to have a funny bike like that one.

in related news, i'm going to ebay my QR tri bike. it's not speaking to me like the others. should be able to get my money back out of it, as well as i shopped.

:cool:
Sorry to hear about the QR. What didn't like about it? I don't think you'll have any problems Ebaying it.

A tip, pay the extra money($1??) to have it double listed in the Tri catagory also. I sold 2 frames in Jan and I asked the buyers which catagory they found the frame listed and they both said Tri.

·
Non non normal
10,154 Posts
Is there a Tri bike disease afflicting board members? That is a pretty unique looking bike frame. That threadless fork won't be consistent with the 80s look so why not go wild on the thing.

·
Juanmoretime
2,203 Posts
Very cool Dave, nice score. Let's see it when you get it built up. I'm hoping to be finishing my time trialer up this weekend provided the man in brown brings everything I need tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigrider said:
Is there a Tri bike disease afflicting board members? That is a pretty unique looking bike frame. That threadless fork won't be consistent with the 80s look so why not go wild on the thing.
The fork is threaded. I'm still trying to find out if it's French, Italian, or english threads. Mid-late 80's French frames could have been any of the three. I have the parts for any of the threads. I guess I'll wait until the frame arrives....

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Nice score!!

Dave Hickey said:
I've been kicking around the idea of building a time trial/ tri bike for the hell of it. I considered Chucks bikes and other low cost options. I checked Ebay last night and found this frame. It's a NOS Gitane funny bike. 650c front/700c rear wheel. The auction just ended and I won the frame for $79.88 including shipping.

Now I have to gather some old retro cowhorn bars and aero wheels. I'm planning to build it period correct(late 80's).

I was eyeing that bike myself. Just ran out of time and didn't get back to bid. Glad someone worthy picked it up.

I have a Kaze and had a Nishiki Linear. These funny bikes are a blast to ride. You definitely scored big on this. Please post plenty of pics so I can covet.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Wow, so this is how it all began...

Dave Hickey said:

Funny, I was doing a google search to track down what I could on the frame and this post was 1st up.

Well, as I have already told you, I have been enjoying this bike. I will post more details on the build and the ride, but here is how she turned out. Here is a quick peak...

I

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Good Luck with the threading

I have a mid 80's Gitane and the bottom bracket is french threaded, apparantly it could also have been Swiss threaded, you'll also most likely have an odd seatpost size as I did. I found a seatpost at a BMX shop that fit, can't remember the size but I emailed Sheldon about it and he posted it on his site.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
giovanni sartori said:
I have a mid 80's Gitane and the bottom bracket is french threaded, apparantly it could also have been Swiss threaded, you'll also most likely have an odd seatpost size as I did. I found a seatpost at a BMX shop that fit, can't remember the size but I emailed Sheldon about it and he posted it on his site.
Thanks for the memories. That was an old post. I've since sold that frame to Racer X. In answer to your question, the threading is english. The seat post was 26.4 but it wasn't too hard to find a post for it..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.