Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my buddy's bike that he just built. Since he has not ridden serious in a few years he asked me to help spec. the build. Here is what we came up with.

Frame-Time VXRS ULTEAM World Star w/translink post(55cm).
Fork- Time World Star
Headset- Time
Stem- Time ULTEAM(110mm)
Saddle- Time ULTEAM w/carbon rails and shell
Bars- FSA K-Force carbon bars w/shallow drop
Shifters/Brake Levers- Sram Red
Front Derailer- Sram Red
Rear Derailer- Sram Red
Chain- Shimano Dura Ace
Cassette- Sram Red (11-26)
Brakes- Sram Red
Cranks/Rings/B.B.- Fulcrum RS(172.5) w/53 X 39 rings
Pedals- Time ULTEAM -carbon w/Ti axles
Wheels- Fulcrum Racing Zero
Skewers- Fulcrum Racing Zero
Tires- Michelin Pro Race
Tubes- Michelin ultra light
Bottle Cages- Time carbon
Bar Tape- Easton
Cables- Gore Ride
Computer- Cat Eye cordless(not installed yet)

Really came out beautiful. Have not weighed it yet but it is for sure sub 15 lbs.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Macho looking bike. The Time folks seem to have given the latest bikes a chunkier, less ethereal, more purposeful look. It looks seriously fast. I expect that your buddy is in seventh heaven...with a much lighter wallet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a bike that looks good but does not hold up under stress. If you are a serious racer do NOT buy this bike. I own one. It is now being sent back to Time for inspection. The integrated seat post has cracked , split and bent in the middle. I did this while riding the bike doing a big sprint then sitting down on the saddle while pedaling. Hit a bump in the road and my weight at 35-40 mph and only 600 watts cracked the seat post. Time is in disbelief... I weigh 175 so if you get this bike I hope your not over 150. Buy the way Time is taking it's time with replacement or repair so I will not have a racing bike for at least a month! Please buy a higher quality frame from a company that supports their customers.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i know it seems BAD, but 1 month is nothing out of the ordinary with regards to total frame replacement. sorry to hear about your race season, i know a total bummer, but just pick up some cheap cannondale caad 5 or something and race the hell out of it, until the problem is resolved. most other manufacturers would take at least that long on a top end frame like that; all like as in cervelo specialized etc..patience man....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Integrated Seat Post

If you have to cut it to prevent brakage (and use a regular length seat post), then why offer the integrated seat post? Whats the advantage? Perhaps Time needs to have a disclaimer, something like... "If you have an XL or XXL size frame and you weight over 170 lbs then we advise you to use a standard length seat post. You can keep as much as the post as you like. We think the more post the greater the performance, however if you are concerned about weight then cut the mast down to the minium length." hummmm You guys who do not have a problem, did you cut your seat post? If so how short? or Are you using a full length seat post?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
I have four and a half inches of seatmast on my size XS Time Edge Translink The folks at the Time Sport Outlet in Santa Barbara did the cutting.

I certainly don't want to jinx things, but after 7500 miles or so I've yet to hear or feel even a single creak from the frame. I weigh in the low 160's. I'm not a racer by any stretch of the imagination. I just like to ride my bike.

Too bad about your bad luck. Did you have any problems with your previous bikes?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been quite happy with the 3 different Time's that I've owned. And one of our sales reps (big guy...races crits) has been quite happy with his VXRS, including a pretty brutal crash that did more damage to him than to his frame. I do wonder about the damage from oneminuteman's frames. I would have no problems buying yet another Time...

·
Registered
59 Posts
This can occur on other bikes too.

I recall that during the last stage of this year's Tour de France, one rider who was
trying to get away broke his seatpost. I don't know what kind of frame it was,
nor whether nor not it was an integrated post. But maybe it's not really so unheard of.

Note that with a Time Translink, you are not supposed to cut the the small seatpost
that fits into the frame at all. I assume that oneminuteman didn't do this. Also, I think I recall that Time does in fact recommend a special seatpost for riders who are over a
certain weight.

In any case, although I have a VXS Translink and am very happy with it, I'm not really sure what its value is, except that it looks cool, shaves maybe a few grams off the weight of the bike, and gives you an excuse not to let anyone else test ride your bike. As other people have pointed out, if you damage the Translink, or even if you just feel like you want more flexibility, you can cut the Translink mostly off and use a Time supplied seat collar and seat tube.

·
Banned
3,317 Posts
One sweet ride.

Very happy with my VXRS Ulteam. Rides like nothing else. In a crit, though, I'm a bit partial to my System Six, though. That's probably because I'm afraid of crashing the Ulteam.

·
Banned
978 Posts
That sucks. .

oneminuteman74 said:
I own one. It is now being sent back to Time for inspection. The integrated seat post has cracked , split and bent in the middle.
I despise integrated seat masts. You ought to dump it and get a Wilier like a Le Ro or Cento, they don't fall apart and have a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
oneminuteman74 said:
This is a bike that looks good but does not hold up under stress. If you are a serious racer do NOT buy this bike. I own one. It is now being sent back to Time for inspection. The integrated seat post has cracked , split and bent in the middle. I did this while riding the bike doing a big sprint then sitting down on the saddle while pedaling. Hit a bump in the road and my weight at 35-40 mph and only 600 watts cracked the seat post. Time is in disbelief... I weigh 175 so if you get this bike I hope your not over 150. Buy the way Time is taking it's time with replacement or repair so I will not have a racing bike for at least a month! Please buy a higher quality frame from a company that supports their customers.
You are very unlucky on both counts I had a frame damaged due to a faulty crank, time replaced the frame along with a new campy record crankset, fully rebuilt in 1 week flown into australia via airfreight, thats the best service i have ever had. Also they must be considering the hoe exactly the damage that was caused, because tey simply just do not break that easly I have 3 of them they are probably the best bike out there hands down !

·
Registered
213 Posts
VXRS Owners

Hey VXRS owners. I test rode a VXR and absolutely loved it.
But now I am torn between the VXR and VXRS Worldstar.
I do not race but ride with people who do and do mostly longer hilly rides at moderate pace.
Comfort is definitely a concern and the VXR was great. Question is would I lose that comfort going to the VXRS Worldstar? I read something about the VXR being designed to absorb shock and VXRS being designed more for stiffness.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go the VXR Pro

Hi in reply i recommend the the VXR I have both the ulteam and the VXR and for long ride and comfort its a noticeable difference also the VXR rolls better at any speed where as you have to constantly work harder on the ulteam. Have Fun

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
QQUIKM3 said:
I despise integrated seat masts. You ought to dump it and get a Wilier like a Le Ro or Cento, they don't fall apart and have a 5 year warranty.
Not from what I've seen. 2 customers of mine have had to have their Le Roi's replaced. Luckily it was within the stingy (relatively) 5 years. TIME's warranty is lifetime AND if you crash/crunch it the frame is repairable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.