Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I tried the search but came up with nothing. I'm sure it's been asked before.

I am needing to buy some new rubber for the summer.
I have a Giant Rapid 3....700x28
I'm a casual road rider, a little over 1000 miles last year but I do plan on riding more this year. Mostly on the county roads and some bike paths.

I'm looking for suggestions on general use tires.

Any tips or suggestions ?

Thanks,
Mike

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
How heavy are you? How good are your roads? What's your flat-tire history? How much do you want to spend (inexpensive tires to best quality more expensive tires?).

Just taking your comment "suggestions on general use tires" I'd suggest Continental 4-Season.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6'0" 175
I have had one flat tire in 5 yrs...picked up a thorn on the path
( I just jinked myself)
Don't really have a spending limit...would be wiling to spend what ever it takes to get a good tire.

I was looking at the Continentals Grand Prix II or the 4 Seasons.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I'm your weight and the 4-Season have been great on my #2 road bike. I use Vittoria OpenCorsa Evo CX (25mm) on my #1 road bike and while some people say they flat easily, I average one per year with them and have for maybe 6-8 years or so. They are a lighter and more premium tire than the 4-Season and a better ride as they are more supple.

Make sure you don't inflate any tire too high - I use 80f/90r.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update : I went with the Continental Grand Prix II
inflated to 90f/95r and they are great so far. I can tell they have good grip and I like them so far. Nice riding tires.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Update : I went with the Continental Grand Prix II
inflated to 90f/95r and they are great so far. I can tell they have good grip and I like them so far. Nice riding tires.
If you are riding 28C at 90/95 you are riding with too much air. Try it 5-10 psi lower and enjoy the ride. You are heavier than I am, but I ride 25C around there and have never had a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts