Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the reviews I have read say that Tiagra sucks. Why is this and why is 105 or Ultegra so much better? I am thinking of buying my first road bike and I do not want to pay a good amount of money for something that is terrible. Any explanation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
If you can get it signifficantly cheaper than 105, Tiagra doesn't suck at all. Personally I don't think it's low quality but then again I haven't ridden ultegra, da or that many 105 parts. Expensive parts still need to be set up right to shift for eample, and this is the same with cheaper parts too. Often poor behaviour of the cheaper groups is due to the very small amount of effort taken to set them up right.

My own 2 cents
Good luck
br

·
Registered
180 Posts
First of all, the shifters aren't the same design - separate thumb levers. In my opinion, as an experienced mechanic, I wouldn't think of buying anything below the 105 level. Ultegra is the value spot, but the 105 stuff (especially this seaon) is a real bargain. Properly installed, setup, and adjusted, that componenet group is a real bargain. If at all possible, find a way to avoid the triple-crank setup - either use a road double or a compact. The triple cranksets are incredibly sensitive and do not perform well at all.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Unless I missed something, you are confusing this with Sora

gmcastil said:
First of all, the shifters aren't the same design - separate thumb levers. In my opinion, as an experienced mechanic, I wouldn't think of buying anything below the 105 level. Ultegra is the value spot, but the 105 stuff (especially this seaon) is a real bargain. Properly installed, setup, and adjusted, that componenet group is a real bargain. If at all possible, find a way to avoid the triple-crank setup - either use a road double or a compact. The triple cranksets are incredibly sensitive and do not perform well at all.
Tiagra does not use the thumb shifter...that is Sora, which is the very low end (I would definitely avoid that level). The big difference as you go down the line is the internals...bearings get replaced by either cheaper bearings or bushings, alloy gets replaced by plastic, etc. Generally the 105 level is considered the entry point if you want to race or if you want it to last a long time, however I can't back that up. I have had both Tiagra and 105 on my wifes bike, and the 105 is a better quality, which translates into easier shifting. She doesn't put on enough miles to ever wear it out, so I can't give you a read there. Probable the biggest difference right now is that 105 is 10 speed, and Tiagra is still 9 speed. While the extra cog may mean nothing, it does mean the the current model year has the old hood/shifter design.

All in, 105 is a better level, but the real question is how many miles you rack up and how long you plan to keep the bike. If you plan on a lot of miles, IMHO it is worth the upgrade to 105. Not doing as much? Tiagra would be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess my question should have been if a bike with 105 and Tiagra is ok. I know most bikes that are in my price range use half 105 and Tiagra. I dont think this should be too much of a concern considering I curently ride a 30 pound 30 yr old Raliegh Grand prix with gear shifters on the frame of the bike. One other question is it possible to have the 3rd chain ring removed?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a 2005 Specialized Allez Sport with Tiagra with 105 Rear der. This is all the bike I could afford and it has been wonderful. Shifts nicely, and stays in adjustment. I do plan on upgrading but only when the parts start to wear out. I think when some people start having problems with lower end stuff, they have a tendacy to blame the equipment instead of the adjustment. Of course, this also gives them an excuse to upgrade.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tiagra/105 should be fine

BTurn7 said:
I guess my question should have been if a bike with 105 and Tiagra is ok. I know most bikes that are in my price range use half 105 and Tiagra. I dont think this should be too much of a concern considering I curently ride a 30 pound 30 yr old Raliegh Grand prix with gear shifters on the frame of the bike.
One other question is it possible to have the 3rd chain ring removed?
Why remove the 3rd ring? If you really don't want a Triple, then make sure and buy a bike with a double up front. Should be plenty of them in the price range. Otherwise, the triple would work fine. Like anything it just needs adjusted. My wife rides a 105 triple. Shifting is fine, but like others I know she rides in the middle ring most of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.