Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a up a club racer from Independent Fabrication. I have always wanted a campy bike - but I am unsure if I want to do it or not. I am thinking about waiting for the 11 spd chorus group coming out late fall/early winter than building it up with Shimano Utlegra sl today.

this is a custom frame, that I plan to commute and do medium pack tours with for a long time. Is Chorus a good touring group of is it overkill? Is the nex Gen Chorus worth the wait? planning on running 50/34 12 . . . 27

I also need a wheel set suitable for touring and comuniting. I own a pair of zipp csc team issues, they are incredible. I am thinking about going with Competitive Cyclist custom built campy set. see the below link.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/r...d--soldered-pavé-wheelset-4962_266_FALSE.html

any advise is welcomed?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
more info...

I made comments recommending Campy 10 for this purpose, in your thread in the components and wrenching section.

As for the wheels, I would consider Campy hubs and wheels built by Excel Sports. I think you'll find them quite a bit cheaper. I just had them build some PowerTap wheels and they came out real nice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You wont be sorry for purchasing a campy group, just buy a 10 sp group when the 11 sp are coming out, and save big $$.

Go with excel sports wheelset. I have had two built by them and they are the best wheelset for the price. Plus, if they mess it up, I can walk over to their warehouse and beat them up for ya':p

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
GVHBikes has better group and wheel prices than Excel or Competitive Cyclist. I personally think Chorus is overkill on a bike loaded with packs. I'd look at Campy Centaur or SRAM Rival on a touring bike.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
kroettger1 said:
I am building a up a club racer from Independent Fabrication. I have always wanted a campy bike - but I am unsure if I want to do it or not. I am thinking about waiting for the 11 spd chorus group coming out late fall/early winter than building it up with Shimano Utlegra sl today.

this is a custom frame, that I plan to commute and do medium pack tours with for a long time. Is Chorus a good touring group of is it overkill? Is the nex Gen Chorus worth the wait? planning on running 50/34 12 . . . 27

I also need a wheel set suitable for touring and comuniting. I own a pair of zipp csc team issues, they are incredible. I am thinking about going with Competitive Cyclist custom built campy set. see the below link.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-wheels/2008-campagnolo-recorddt-rr-1.1-tied--soldered-pavé-wheelset-4962_266_FALSE.html

any advise is welcomed?
I'm very, very happy w/ my 10sp Chorus group, but I have to admit, that new 11sp group is growing on me, and I really didn't like the aesthetics at first.

I have the 50/34 UT compact and a 11/25 cassette. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd pick the 50/36 with a 12/23. The gap between the front chainrings is pretty big, and I would like to have the 18t cog. Mostly rollers here in central VA. If I had a lot of mountains to climb, I'd go for a 13/26 rear cassette.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.