Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently started cycling again after several years away from the sport. I just purchased a new Scattante frame to replace my 1986 Pinarello. Needless to say, all of the various carbon parts were not around last time I built a bike. Are carbon bars, stems, and seatposts ok for heavier riders? I am about 240# now working on getting to about 200#. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Also, what is the deal with compact cranks? If my frame is listed as a compact, do I have to build it with a compact crank?

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Depends..

wmsx4 said:
I have recently started cycling again after several years away from the sport. I just purchased a new Scattante frame to replace my 1986 Pinarello. Needless to say, all of the various carbon parts were not around last time I built a bike. Are carbon bars, stems, and seatposts ok for heavier riders? I am about 240# now working on getting to about 200#. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Also, what is the deal with compact cranks? If my frame is listed as a compact, do I have to build it with a compact crank?
Some carbon seatposts have weight limits, and you have to be a little careful when installing a carbon stem, you can't over torque it. I've used carbon stems and seatposts. I just replaced the carbon seatpost on my old bike with an aluminum one and I can't tell any difference at all. Some carbon components weigh more than the aluminum one's. I have carbon cranks/stem/seatpost on my new bike, they look nice.

You don't need a compact crank with a compact frame. The compact crank is an option over going with a triple, you get more gears. If you do a lot of climbing you could use a 12-27 cassette (I presume you have a Shimano bike).

Yes, things have changed. You will catch on after awhile. Ask for some online bike shop catalogs (they are free) at places like Excel Sports or Colorado Cyclist (that's all that comes to mind right now). Just read through them. You can learn a lot from just reading through the product listings. And you best resource is the internet. You can enter anything in your search engine and you will be surprised the number of hits you will get. Try compact cranks for starters.

Consider buying a book about maintenance, Zinn and The Art of Road Bike Maintenance is a good one. And buy some tools and learn to do your own work. The only thing I'm leery of is building wheels. One of these days I will take the plunge.

I hope you kept that '86 Pinarello.

The main thing that have changed are the prices.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Don't worry about the weight issue and carbon too much. I am 250lbs and ride an all carbon bike. Just don't go to the weight weenie side of the carbon stuff and you will be fine. I was as heavy as 268 this last year and was riding an all carbon. Where did you other bike go, the Pin?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Pinarello...

is still with me. Even once the new bike is uilt I'm gonna keep it. Funny, but I did a charity ride a couple of weeks ago and everyone wanted to take a look at it. It was the only one there with downtube shifters, but it got more looks than the Cervelo TT bike another guy had.

· Registered
3,866 Posts
I forgot to mention

wmsx4 said:
is still with me. Even once the new bike is uilt I'm gonna keep it. Funny, but I did a charity ride a couple of weeks ago and everyone wanted to take a look at it. It was the only one there with downtube shifters, but it got more looks than the Cervelo TT bike another guy had.

This site has a search option. At the top of the page "Search". You can search this forum for information. Just about everything under the sun has been discussed.

Yes, I can believe the Pinarello got a lot of attention. I bet some folks have never seen a bike with downtube shifters. I hope you keep good care of it.

Dino

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input....

I'm sure I'll use the Pin on the rollers when winter comes around. Also, I have done some reading since last night and I'm pretty settled on the compact crank option. I think its the best fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.