Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cyclocross racing has always been looked really fun to me, and I'm now in the market for a cyclocross bike. I will be using the bike to ride on local trails and would eventually like to race (maybe next season).

That being said, I really like the simplicity of single speed. I raced BMX when I was younger and for the last year I've been riding a fixed gear. I've never really had a bike with gears.

I was wondering, would their be less races to participate in since I'm on a SS?

My next question is.. what bike? I'm on a bit of a budget. I have a Phil/Open Pro flip flop wheelset that I can use so a bit of cash can be saved there. But I'm paticularly stuck on deciding which frame I should get.

Surly's cross check is definately up there in my list.. Probably would've bought one if I could find someone that has them in stock online.. :confused: I've read many times that the cross check is pretty heavy and that's about the only thing that's steering me away from it, though, I'm not sure of an alternative frame.

The other frame I've been looking at is the SOMA double cross, but since it has vertical drop outs, and I already have a SS/FG wheelset built, I can use chain tensioners, right?

What do you guys think? Any other comparable frames?

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Singlespeed cross bikes are lots of fun, fixed as well as free. (Free for racing makes more sense.) Tarik Saleh wrote a great piece on singlespeed cross racing:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlecross.html

You can lop off over a pound from the cross check by using a carbon fork instead of the stock steel one. But that takes away from the versatility and ruggedness of the bike. Tradeoffs.

· Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
why wait until next season? what is your budget? spot has a nice looking single speed (currently there is a used one on ebay i think)

· Registered
25 Posts
tomk96 said:
why wait until next season? what is your budget? spot has a nice looking single speed (currently there is a used one on ebay i think)
I agree, why wait? Here is another option for a single speed cross and a little cheaper too. The On One Pompino frame that your LBS can order through J & B. http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?page_id=591

The other step is to get a support group, people who like to drink, because you will be hooked after the first race and have a mile wide smile. (With mud in your teeth of course)

· Registered
5,270 Posts
+1 on racing this season. Even if you aren't terribly fit, it will be a great experience, and you'll have that much more motivation to get fit for the following season.

Unlike some other forms of bike racing, it's no big deal to fall off the back. Fields get strung out pretty quickly, and no matter how many times you get lapped, you still finish on the same lap as the leaders, so WTF. Just be courteous to the people lapping you.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This season would work as well, as long as I build a bike up in time. :)

I can't find a cross check anywhere either online or in person. I could ask my LBS to order one in, but I'm not sure on the wait yet.

Like I mentioned earlier, I could also get a frame with vertical drop outs.. (which is probably easier to find). Are their any downsides to running a setup like this, as opposed to a SS specific frame?

My budget is around $700 for the frameset, HS, and BB. I've got pretty much everything I need, or at least to make it ridable and I can upgrade on the way.

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
The Crosschecks are out of stock at the distributor. New arrivals currently scheduled for mid-August.

The Surly is indeed a tank and the Soma is not much better in that dept. I have one of each in the household.

I keep looking at this deal: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=25729&subcategory_ID=3020 (Coupons for and additional %10-20 off are common). I think you should buy one and tell me whether it is worthwhile :D

I'd choose a lighter, racier frame with a tensioner over a Crosscheck, personally. I have been racing CX and MTB with a Soulcraft Convert since 2005. Works fine, IMO. Tensioners and track ends both have pros and cons, and both can work fine.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
PeanutButterBreath said:
I keep looking at this deal: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=25729&subcategory_ID=3020 (Coupons for and additional %10-20 off are common). I think you should buy one and tell me whether it is worthwhile :D
Not to derail too significantly, but I ride that frame as my training/winter bike. Have it built up as a 1X10 and have been riding it alot lately for short 30 minute runs around the neighborhood to try to keep some semblance of form/fitness in my life. I like it. Not a great frame, but certainly serviceable. Haven't tried to race it or anything. It isn't the lightest frame, but not too much of a beast either. The fit and finish on it is pretty good, especially considering the price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.