Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
cx racing

is the only bike racing where you have a 'pit'. riders exchange bikes in cases of mechanicals, flats or in many races mud. Bikes can get so gunked up that they don't function. In elite level races guys exchange bikes to have them cleaned as any gunk can effect bikes performance. It was so muddy at the US Nats in Portland (2005) that we were switching bikes twice a lap. so every 3- 3.5 minutes or so rider got a clean bike. without that they would have slowed to a crawl. I washed a load of bikes (I was pit crew) in an hour race.

for lower level guys, a pit bike is a backup in most cases. where only 1 bike, if you flat, bust a deraileur whatever your day could be done minutes into a race. with a pit bike you can continue. for us schlumps we usually have a pit bike we've tossed together with spare parts on the cheap. some have a SS pit bike so they can also race in Single Speed races the same day.

·
Registered
475 Posts
pit bike = 16" wheels

Professor said:
I see the term "pit bike" thrown around. I have an idea what a "pit bike" could be by the name but I'm going to ask... what's a pit bike?
A pit bike is a little kids bmx bike with 12 or 16" wheels, might not work really well for cyclocross !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts