Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the price is the same, which of these cyclocross bikes would be a better bang for the buck? I would put these in a spreadsheet, but I have no clue what some of the name brand things refer to...lol All are a couple years old...

Kona JTS

Aluminum frame 60cm
Wound Up carbon fork
Chris King headset
Ritchey Biomax bars 44cm
Easton EA 50 stem 120mm
Frogglegs brakes and in-line brake levers
Campagnolo Chorus 9 speed gruppo
Truvativ cranks 175mm
FSA bottom bracket
Crank Bro's pedals
Easton CT2 carbon seat post
Terry Zero saddle
handbuilt Mavic Open Pro rims/Chris King hubs wheel set
extra tires and innertubes.

Redline Conquest

1. Frameset: Redline Conquest 58cm
2. Wheels: Velocity Fusion on Dura Ace hubs
3. Bars: Ritchey Pro Ergonomic 44cm
4. Stem: Ritchey Pro 12cm
5. Chainset: Ritchey Cross 175mm 46/38 chainrings
6. Chain: SRAM 8sp new
7. Cassette: SRAM 8sp 12-32 new
8. Rear deraileur: Shimano XTR
9. Front deraileaur: Shimano Ultegra
10. Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace 8sp
11. Brakes: Empella Frogs Legs Cantilever
12. Levers: Empella Frog Legs Top Mount
13. Tires: Michellin Cross-Sprint
14. Saddle: Avocet 02
15. Post: Synchros

Jamis Nova

Components
Component Group Shimano 105
Brakeset Avid Shorty 4 brakes, Shimano 105 STI Dual Control levers
Shift Levers Shimano 105 STI Dual Control
Front Derailleur Shimano 105, top-pull/clamp-on 31.8mm
Rear Derailleur Shimano 105
Crankset Truvativ Elita Compact GXP, 36/50 teeth
Pedals Crank Brothers Candy C
Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP
BB Shell Width Unspecified
Rear Cogs 10-speed, 12 - 25 teeth
Chain Shimano CN-5600
Seatpost Ritchey Road Comp V2, 27.2mm diameter
Saddle Fi'zi:k Pave, chrome-moly rails
Handlebar Ritchey Biomax II Road Comp
Handlebar Extensions Unspecified
Handlebar Stem Ritchey Road Comp V2
Headset 1 1/8" threadless Aheadset
Hubs Ritchey Aero Comp
Rims Ritchey Comp Aero
Tires 700 x 32c Maxxis Mimo CX

'04 Bianchi Axis - about $300 cheaper
with these parts: 1) crank (Ritchey WCS compact, 50x34), 2) brakes (Shimano XT V-brakes), and 3) wheels (Xero)

Thanks!

Tyler

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clearly if i knew anything about bikes...i would. however, just because "x" is worth "z" dollars...doesn't necessarily mean "x" is the better product.

damn, people used to be all about giving as much advice as possible...now everyone is so damn petty. i'm asking for people's advice...jesus.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
You've listed more than 50 components, all from different eras, with no information about how they have been used, or how long, or the price you would be paying, what you will be using them for, etc., etc. and asked for a comparison based on a subjective "bang for buck" metric. That is a formidable assignment.

:yikes:

They are all fine bikes so my advice is to ride them all and pick the one you like the most. If you don't trust the seller, come back and ask if the price is fair.

All else being equal, they seem to be listed in descending order of desirability to me, for what I would use a bike for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...see that is a constructive reply :) again, like i said, i'm completely new to this, so i have no clue what info you would need. they're all used bikes...from classifieds. i have no clue how they have been used. obviously the owners all say they've been babied and not raced. i'll be using it for mostly a commute in atlanta, maybe some trail riding here and there. all of them are the same price...

i would definitely ride them if they weren't all in different cities :)

hey, from what i've read, it's better to buy used rather than from bikesdirect!

cheers!

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Used is a great idea if you are sure of the fit. Get the TT of your current bike and try and match that on your new one. The JtS and Conquest are very well regarded cross bikes.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the Jamis is an 853 steel bike I believe it would be the best commuter. The aluminum of the others is to stiff for me w/o the larger volume tires and lower pressures of cross. The others also look like custom cross builds so I cannot believe for a second they weren't raced. IMHO.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'd go for the Jake,( if condition is equal)

I'd take a campy drive train over the Shimano (if condition is equal)

Froggleggs of Bike 1 and 2 are better than the Avids
Chris King Hubs on Bike1 are nice, D/A to Fusion also good

·
Registered
377 Posts
Assuming that the condition is similar and they all fit, I would take the Campy bike with the King Hubs. Campy and King are IMO more durable. If you so choose, you can upgrade those Campy shifters to 10 speed, the purists (ATP) will say that is craziness, but it is an option. Campy wears in, Shimano wears out....
That Terry saddle needs to go though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
the kona has some nice parts but king never made campy hubs so they are a mized system right off the bat. also since it is nine speed you know t is around 10 years old for the parts, as for campy wears in all that means is it takes a little longer to wear out. the Nova has 10 speed stuff which is super easy to find and replace if you, say, get in a cyclocross wreck...

I would lean towards the kona with a new groupo if you can afford it by selling off the old campy.

if you can't swing that get the nova for newer components and less headaches for newbs

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
quickfeet18 said:
the kona has some nice parts but king never made campy hubs so they are a mized system right off the bat.
I'd take "mized" CK hubs with OPs and a conversion cassette over whatever wheels Jamis includes on a 105 level bike.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
quickfeet18 said:
Sorry I substituted one letter for the key right next to it jerk.
I would have played if off as hipper-than-thou slang for "compromised". :ciappa:

Mixed system on a CX bike. Yeah, nobody wants that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have never understood this MIXING trend for cyclocross. If you wouldn't mix campy and shimano on your road bike why is it okay on a cross bike? I don't care what you say, rigging a cross bike is just as bad as a road bike.

I will bet that one or more of your bikes are single speed and you love mustaches too.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
quickfeet18 said:
I have never understood this MIXING trend for cyclocross. If you wouldn't mix campy and shimano on your road bike why is it okay on a cross bike? I don't care what you say, rigging a cross bike is just as bad as a road bike.
I am not aware that mixing Campy and Shimano is a trend for cyclocross. Running CK hubs with Chorus 9 could mean running a Campy spaced cassette on the Shimano splined freehub -- does that even count as MIXING™?

"Rigging" has always been a part of CX. The whole sport is about mixing in some way or another.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha. thanks for all of the responses guys. although i need to admit that whatever peanutbutter and quickfeet are talking about is like a foreign language to me. christ i have a lot to learn quickly before i drop a good deal of cash for one of these bikes.

at any rate, any of these would be better than a brand new leftover '07 fuji cross comp correct?

·
Registered
35 Posts
No Fuji !!

The Jamis not only has a carbon fok, it ha carbon seat stays. It rides on and off road like a dream.

I road a bunch of em and the Jamis was more bike for the cash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all of the advice guys! I think I'm leaning towards the kona. is there a huge difference between the frames of the newer models and the '02?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts