Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stopping by to say hi and introduce myself. Joe from Seminole, Florida.
Current equipment is a stock Trek Alpha 1.1 with about 3000 miles on it.

I guess my first question(s) would be this:
1. What are recommended upgrades (cassettes, chainrings, and anything to start making the bike lighter?

2. My level of riding is probably casual (50-100 miles/week). I want to start doing long-distance racing (centruies, metric centuries, maybe some time trials) and want recommendations for how to train for those events. Florida is pretty flat and since I live near water most of my rides are rather windy. I do encounter bridges which provide some elevation.

3. At what point do I look at upgrading to a stock bike with a higher price point? I know I can get some of the things I want from question 1 simply from getting a newer bike.

4. I would like to connect with other riders in Pinellas County if any are here on the forums.

Anyway, hope to hear from you soon. Thanks

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
If I were in your position, instead of spending more on upgrades than I spent for the bike out the door, I'd put the money aside with a view toward getting a top grade AL frame bike down the road.

You can do charity rides on your present ride. I've done hillier ones than you'll have on an 8-speed bike with a 12-25 cassette. Your present RD limits you to 8 speeds, with a max 26t bail-out gear. To make it a worthwhile upgrade, you'd probably want to go with 10 speeds on the back (I don't see Sora as much of an upgrade over 2300) and new derailleurs, chain, cassette and brifters would set you back for more than what your bike sold for. Assuming that you can stick with the present crank (I'm not the greatest gear guru by a long shot). And then, you'd want to upgrade the wheels, too. Even something like a set of Aksiums or Fulcrum 7s will run $400.

Save to upgrade the whole ride, and when you can afford to spend between $1500 to $2000 on a better AL frame ride, keep the 1.1 as a back-up/bad weather ride. CAAD 10, E5 Allez, Madone 2.3, or another brand with 105 and better wheels, is doable for under $2 grand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.