Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an old 3.0 this weekend from my brother-in-law. It was way too big for him but if fits me pretty well. The serial is 46009880015. Full 105 with Mavic MA40 rims. Right away I want to get a new saddle, handlebars (they seem to be too narrow), and clipless pedals. Does anyone have the details on the bike? (i.e. fork, seatpost, stem size...) I like the classic look of the stem so I'd like to keep it. The bars are original I think and are labeled Sakae. Most of the new bars I've been looking at online have a bulge in the center which won't fit I assume. It currently has aero bars with bar end shifters. It all works very well. Is there a way to ditch the aero bars and move the shifters to the ends of the handlebars?
This is really exciting because I've wanted a road bike for the past year or so. I can't wait to get out and ride. Thanks for any input.
Ben

·
Registered
598 Posts
Nice find...

benasaki said:
Does anyone have the details on the bike? (i.e. fork, seatpost, stem size...).... Most of the new bars I've been looking at online have a bulge in the center which won't fit I assume. It currently has aero bars with bar end shifters. It all works very well. Is there a way to ditch the aero bars and move the shifters to the ends of the handlebars?
I had one of those...great bike...really regret selling it...anyway, to answer your questions...

The seatpost should be a 27.2mm post. The fork is 1" threaded, and as such, takes a standard 1" quill stem (actual diameter of the quill is 22.2mm). The "bulged" bars you see are most likely 31.8mm bars, and as far as I know, most quill stems are for 26.0mm bars (the OS stems may exist...I don't know).

As for the shifters, it depends. If they are attached to a bridge between the aerobars, they're probably downtube shifters. They won't be able to be attached to the bar ends, but could be mounted to the downtube, which is fine. If they're attached at the end of each arm of the aero bars, they're probably bar-ends, which would easily be mounted to the ends of the drops.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your new bike!

Brooks K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info Brooks K!
I'm thinking that having the shifters on the end of the bars may be a bit awkward. Will indexed 8 speed downtube shifters work on my 7 speed setup? There isn't much 7 speed stuff on EBay right now. Thanks again.
Ben

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
my father has that same bike still laying around. his has custom wheels and full 7speed ultegra with the down tube shifters, great bike and has been really reliable. he had his painted by some famous bike builder in houston, tx a few years before the guy died about 12 years back, cannot remember the guys name but it's pretty sweet! ill try and post some pics of it here in a week or so when i get down there! def hold onto that bike there seems to be a resurgence of people rebuilding the older Cannondale bikes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts