Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's something I've been considering for a while but this year with prices down and good sales, I decided to take the plunge and start training with power. I purchases a Quark Riken R and have been getting accustomed to it. Now that it is settled in, and I'm educating myself on power and calculated my FTP with a 20 minute test. Once I finish reading through Allen and Coggan's Training and Racing with a Power Meter (rev1) I'll be ready to take the next step.

I was wondering what information people find useful and use on their head units. What do they use when training and what to they use when racing if different.

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and have 2 screens dedicated to power.

On the first I have 5 values; 1-10s power, 2-Heart Rate, 3-Speed, 4-HR% max, 5-Pwr %FTP.

On the second I have 5 values; 1-3s power, 2-L/R Balance %, 3-Heart Rate, 4-Speed, 5-Max Power.

I find myself using the second screen more because of the 3s Power but I'm not really doing long endurance sessions yet where the 10s power would probably be better - I still am not to the point of formulating the training plans yet. I plan on re-working them and will definitely add cadence to one or both. But I'm curious what works for others when displaying power information.

What fields do you use? And if you don't mind explaining why you use them I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
It's something I've been considering for a while but this year with prices down and good sales, I decided to take the plunge and start training with power. I purchases a Quark Riken R and have been getting accustomed to it. Now that it is settled in, and I'm educating myself on power and calculated my FTP with a 20 minute test. Once I finish reading through Allen and Coggan's Training and Racing with a Power Meter (rev1) I'll be ready to take the next step.

I was wondering what information people find useful and use on their head units. What do they use when training and what to they use when racing if different.

I have a Garmin Edge 800 and have 2 screens dedicated to power.

On the first I have 5 values; 1-10s power, 2-Heart Rate, 3-Speed, 4-HR% max, 5-Pwr %FTP.

On the second I have 5 values; 1-3s power, 2-L/R Balance %, 3-Heart Rate, 4-Speed, 5-Max Power.

I find myself using the second screen more because of the 3s Power but I'm not really doing long endurance sessions yet where the 10s power would probably be better - I still am not to the point of formulating the training plans yet. I plan on re-working them and will definitely add cadence to one or both. But I'm curious what works for others when displaying power information.

What fields do you use? And if you don't mind explaining why you use them I would really appreciate it.
What you put on your screens is dependent on what yoiu want to do.

For my situation I have 3 screens that I use on my Garmin 800
General screen - speed, distance HR, 3 sec avg power, cadence, avg speed
Power training - 3 sec avg power, speed, HR, grade, Power Zone, cadence
Climbing - speed, 3s avg power, grade, elevation, total ascent, cadence

I have not found much use for all the different power metrics, plus its hard for me to read all that and suffer at the same time

·
Always me!
82 Posts
Just the basics on the screen while riding...speed, 3 sec avg, HR, cadence, time.
each bike gets it's own settings since I only have one PM but 4 bikes.
All the extra power metrics get broken down in Golden Cheetah after the ride for analysis.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I agree that this is very individual depending on what you are doing.

For longer rides outdoor rides where I'm focusing in endurance, on my "Power" screen, I show 3 Sec Power, Percent of FTP, Power Zone, and the Time in Zones graph. I use this to spend as much time in zone 2 and as little in Z3 and up as possible. I also usually display the TSS cumulative, although for endurance rides, this isn't absolutely necessary.

For high intensity stuff, HR, 3 Sec Power, Power Zone and/or Percent of FTP, and TSS.

For just general purpose outdoor rides where I'm not doing something specific, i don't even look at power at all - I just ride on feel - in those cases, I just keep an eye on my HR, and possibly TSS if I'm trying to stay within a certain fatigue management range.

Also, I use a Wahoo Elemnt, which has LED's along the side that can be configured to show current HR or Power Zones - this eliminates one data field and is always visible regardless of what page you are on - I usually leave this on HR.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Elapsed time (so I know how much longer I can go before I piss off the wife)
3sec Power (evens it out enough so I don't chase spikes or lulls)
Heart Rate (so I know how my body is responding to the work)
Cadence (working on increasing it)
Distance (simply gives my mind something to do- math)

Sometimes I'll do 10sec Power on another screen with a couple other metrics if I'm doing an FTP test or longer effort.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
My main screen I have 3 second power, HR, cadence and speed and 10second left/right balance. My second screen is Normalized power, TSS, IF, 3 second power and left/right balance. I use this second screen to help me manage training or on long rides where I'm trying to stay at or below a specific normalized power. I also have a detailed ride screen with lots on it including temperature, 3 second power, average speed, time, elapsed time, grade, direction, left/right balance, an IQ metric similar to W' that tells me how much I have left in the tank for hard efforts, distance. I'll probably move that IQ metric to the first screen sometime, just haven't gotten to it. Then there's the standard navigation etc screens that follow those 3 that come set up out of the box from Garmin.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'll simply add that "Average Lap Power" is very helpful when doing intervals.

Assuming you reset the lap before said interval or build a work out via Garmin Connect.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Interval training/KOM screen - 3s power, lap power, lap distance, lap time

Group/solo/long distance riding screen - 3s power, distance, speed, heading, elapsed time, and Kilojoules

Irrelevant metrics screen - Avg power, avg speed, avg cadence, normalized power, time of day, max power, max speed (really just anything interesting, but not necessary)

·
Registered
268 Posts
My main screen I have 3 second power, HR, cadence and speed and 10second left/right balance. My second screen is Normalized power, TSS, IF, 3 second power and left/right balance. I use this second screen to help me manage training or on long rides where I'm trying to stay at or below a specific normalized power. I also have a detailed ride screen with lots on it including temperature, 3 second power, average speed, time, elapsed time, grade, direction, left/right balance, an IQ metric similar to W' that tells me how much I have left in the tank for hard efforts, distance. I'll probably move that IQ metric to the first screen sometime, just haven't gotten to it. Then there's the standard navigation etc screens that follow those 3 that come set up out of the box from Garmin.
Tell me more about this IQ metric. I've wanted real time W' since I first starting working with power. Is it a custom field you made? I'm still using Edge500 if that matters.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone who has posted so far this is great information.

I'm kind of surprised that some are not using heart rate on their screens. I guess it makes sense on some if your goal is just about power for an interval, HR may not be necessary.

Like Cartoscro, I'm also interested in the other metrics such as IQ (and W'/Functional Reserve Capacity, W'bal/dFRC, IF, etc). I have just started using GoldenCheetah to load my workouts into and I am pretty lost. Of course as I said before, I'm still early into the Hunter/Coggan book and will probably get to know more about these metrics and numbers. Just wish I could find some actual information on how to use GC to analyze my workouts. There doesn't seem to be much out there for the uninitiated....

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that some are not using heart rate on their screens. I guess it makes sense on some if your goal is just about power for an interval, HR may not be necessary.
Just my opinion, but it just seemed irrelevant once I got a powermeter. For me it was just another number to stare at, and another piece of kit to keep up with. Sure, it might can tell you when you are tired and need rest. But I know my body fairly well enough to know when I need rest. Power can tell you the same thing. Knowing that my heart rate was 190+ never caused me to make an immediate change in the way I was riding, so I deemed it useless. (not fact, just my experience)

I'm in the middle of reading Training with Power as well. I'm getting to the point of actually analyzing long-term metrics, which is really where I see a powermeter being really beneficial. It's not really a book to read all the way through. You might could read it all the way through, but I found it easier to understand after I had collected 3-4 months of data. That way I could read a chapter, and have GC open at the same time to apply some the concepts.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I always have my HR visible - either on the screen, or now, with the Elemnt, visible via the LED's on the left edge.

Power is fine for measuring your effort, but the only way to know if you are fatigued is to watch your HR. I've learned to understand what it means when my HR responds slowly to efforts, or if I have to work extra hard to get my HR into Z4, etc.. and watching recovery, and how it responds to changes in efforts, etc...

It's how I know if I need to take a rest day - or even a rest week, etc...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I always have my HR visible - either on the screen, or now, with the Elemnt, visible via the LED's on the left edge.

Power is fine for measuring your effort, but the only way to know if you are fatigued is to watch your HR. I've learned to understand what it means when my HR responds slowly to efforts, or if I have to work extra hard to get my HR into Z4, etc.. and watching recovery, and how it responds to changes in efforts, etc...

It's how I know if I need to take a rest day - or even a rest week, etc...

Listening to your body is another way to know if you are fatigued or not. Riding the local loop and feeling like hell doing it is another.

While I have HR on one of my screens, it's not the only determinant...the phrase: "know thyself" is more important in my book.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Tell me more about this IQ metric. I've wanted real time W' since I first starting working with power. Is it a custom field you made? I'm still using Edge500 if that matters.
the IQ metrics/widgets can be downloaded from Garmin webpage or you can make your own - they only work on the Garmin 820 and 1000 right now as far as I know, but they may be planned for the 520 in the future, I believe it isn't coming for the previous generations - like 500, 510, 800, 810. There's quite a few very cool metrics to look at but this was the one I thought was most useful. You can use HR as a predictor of immanent failure ( I know at 175 plus I have a minute tops before I'm toast) but it won't tell you recovery time till you are ready to go again for the next hard effort with a full tank.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just my opinion, but it just seemed irrelevant once I got a powermeter. For me it was just another number to stare at,
I get it. And see what you mean. I'll see what I gravitate to displaywise. Right now, I'm more comfortable seeing it since I'm not relating it to the power numbers yet. Whether or not I remove it from the displays will depend later down the road. I'm just so used to having it there and knowing where my limits right now are based on heart rate.

I'm in the middle of reading Training with Power as well. I'm getting to the point of actually analyzing long-term metrics, which is really where I see a powermeter being really beneficial. It's not really a book to read all the way through. You might could read it all the way through, but I found it easier to understand after I had collected 3-4 months of data. That way I could read a chapter, and have GC open at the same time to apply some the concepts.
I definitely see what you mean. The book is pretty heavy for me and I know as I become more versed in power it will help me analyze the data. Right now it's a bit overwhelming with everything new and how everything relates.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Training and racing I find less is more: 3s power, time, distance.

Honestly, in races, time and distance are what I reference. Power is what it is as you go with the moves etc...the only time I'd reference power is bridging or once I break and settle in, long climbs, and ITT's.

In training I reference power a bit more and really pay attention while doing intervals. I've been using power since maybe 2008 and I seem to go more by feel each year with the exception of the above.

What's useful is looking at the data once downloaded to find limiters and strengths but, mostly limiters. 3s is just easier to look at and 10s seems to be smoothed too much for my taste.

It seems like all the guys who obsess over data during the race/rides miss the moves. JMO. Too much can be worse than too little is the point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts