Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
CycleMaven.Net
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My story, summation:
-Been road riding 20+ years
-about 3 years ago I had a BIG snowboarding accident which kept me off the bike for a year and off clipless pedals (therefore my road bike) until recently.
-two years ago discovered the joys of MTBing, then quickly mtb single speeding.

My dream:
I'm on a road bike, riding around in circles backwards, having the time of my life. I take off down a bike path, and I've never felt so connected, so at one with a bike. It's amazingly zen. I wake up completely preoccupied with the idea of riding a fixie.

This past weekend, I converted my old Centurian Ironman into a single speed from old parts I had. I find myself staring at the vertical dropouts, trying to figure out a way to make them "fixie safe" while retaining a rear brake.

Ut oh.

Am I doomed?

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Doomed...

but at least you're starting out on a quality bike. I just took some pic's of my Centurion Ironman that I converted last fall. I'll have to post them tomorrow.

Good to have you on board. Once you cruise the site you may soon be tempted to drop major coin on something custom...but I personally think the best fixies are the classic retired roadies.

Glad you are recovered as well. I snowboard too a few times a year. I'd hate to think what a really bad spill could do to your knees when you are locked in. Is that what happened to you?

Ride safe!

·
CycleMaven.Net
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the good wishes

racerx said:
but at least you're starting out on a quality bike. I just took some pic's of my Centurion Ironman that I converted last fall. I'll have to post them tomorrow.

Good to have you on board. Once you cruise the site you may soon be tempted to drop major coin on something custom...but I personally think the best fixies are the classic retired roadies.

Glad you are recovered as well. I snowboard too a few times a year. I'd hate to think what a really bad spill could do to your knees when you are locked in. Is that what happened to you?

Ride safe!
Please post pictures! I'll post a few before and after shots as well. My "before" shots are an attempt at pulling together all of the parts that I originally had on it (NB original biopace and first generation Look pedals ) . The after shots are before seat and stem adjustments.

My accident was a combination of mechanical failure (a broken binding), mixed with absolute foolishness. I knew the binding was going, but the snow was perfect powder, and I was doing so well with jumps...
....skysnowskysnowskysnow....
torn tenden in rt ankle, knee cap out of place, sprained shoulder, and mandatory cracked ribs... :rolleyes: lesson learned. I now take good care of my equipment and check it before I go out.

couple of pics...

·
On your left!
1,301 Posts
Here is a link to my before pictures.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=52232

I have after pic's, just need to remember to download them off of my camera. I will work on it.

My Dave Scott is built up as a fixed and SS bike. I have 3 fixies so I kind of like keeping this on a SS. Gives me the best of both worlds, great workout for climbing and can fly down the hills around the house.

You did a great job on your build. Love those SCOTT DH bars. I kept a pair of mine just for old times sake and to add to my Triathlon museum I have aquired over the years.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
welcome :)

looks like a great start!

so are you back on clipless?

The only mods I'd make to the rear wheel are:

convert to thread-on fixed cog (natch')
convert axle from q/r to threaded bolt-on w/nuts

I got rid of the little tension/set screws on my dropouts. I also ditched the rear brake but you may not be comfortable with that. Once you get the conversion done and bolt the wheel in, adjust the rear brake as-needed and you'll be golden.

race ya!
jeff

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Those are some intense bars there... Like some kind of torture deivce.

Lookin good man. I'll second the qr suggestion.

joe

·
CycleMaven.Net
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey there!

Hollywood said:
looks like a great start!

so are you back on clipless?

The only mods I'd make to the rear wheel are:

convert to thread-on fixed cog (natch')
convert axle from q/r to threaded bolt-on w/nuts

I got rid of the little tension/set screws on my dropouts. I also ditched the rear brake but you may not be comfortable with that. Once you get the conversion done and bolt the wheel in, adjust the rear brake as-needed and you'll be golden.

race ya!
jeff
Yup, finally I'm able to handle clipless (without pain) again. Frogs have been fantastic for me, because I can easily unclip too.
I'm definitely not comfortable removing the rear brake, and was wondering how concerned I should be about slippage. I'll take your and Joedaddio's advice and wait til I can rebuild the wheel on a flipflop bolt-on hub. I start a new job tomorrow, so maybe a few weeks before I can fully convert (heavy sigh).

Why did you remove the lil' tension screws? I figured I'd leave them on as they make it easier to seat the rear wheel.

·
CycleMaven.Net
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Scott bars?

JoeDaddio said:
Those are some intense bars there... Like some kind of torture deivce.

Lookin good man. I'll second the qr suggestion.

joe
LOL. Yeah, they're pretty funny looking, but surprisingly comfortable. However, they're meant for long flat distances, which I don't live around anymore, so off they came. I'm definitely keeping them for my "triathlon museum", as racerx put it.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Damn straight! Just wait until you convert you other bikes over.

Through bolts are good. So are actual theaded cogs with lockrings; especially on the street. When you go and race/ride the track (yes when not if) then you could entertain a system that does not use a lockring since you never apply back pressure at the track. Brakes are a presonal preference. On the street I love my front brake....don't always use it but like having it there...especially when riding long distances or down steep grades. Rear? It could help with controling over spinning down steep grades while not overheating your front rim. No biggie either way.

My only suggestion is to look at your seat angle. Your saddle is pointed down. When decending you might be sliding foward, and you may want to use your saddle as a anchor point to help control the rear wheel with your legs. If you're sliding forward that could prove difficult.

Can't wait to ride with you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Something to consider is gettting a fix/fix hub, not a fix/free hub. You can spin a freewheel on a fix hub but you can not spin a lock ring and fix cog on a free hub. This way you have the best of both worlds. With a fix/fix hub you can run fix/fix, fix/free, or free/free.

·
CycleMaven.Net
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woohoo, I get to build a wheel!

As luck would have it, I found supplies to build a fixed wheel, and a class in wheelbuilding at Bicycle Kitchen for tomorrow night.
If all goes well, I could be on a fixie by the weekend!

·
CycleMaven.Net
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Finally, pretty much done!

Went to Bicycle Kitchen, and had a great time.
I learned a ton of information about wheel building (the kind of stuff you can't learn from a book), and I now have a lovely new flip-flop wheel. I'm very proud to say, I built that rear wheel.
On Tuesday I'll take it to an LBS to get the lockring put on, and have a final "fitting".
Unfortunately, I tweaked my knee a bit while riding it as a single speed (pateller tendon is sore), so should I wait a few days before I ride it. It's driving me nuts, because I just did some figure 8s in the driveway, and it feels, well, amazing.

Here are some pictures.
Gearing is 39x16.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.