Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site you guys/gals have here.

I'm looking to get back into cycling this spring and was wondering if I should get a new frame or not?

My road bike is GT Course made from Reynolds 853 steel, full ultegra group, mavic open pro with ultegra hubs 'I purchased this back in the early 90's when their frames had that triple trangle design'.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Wanted to say hello :) I'm fairly new myself. How do you like your bike? Does it serve whatever purpose you are using it for well?

If you're thinking about racing at some point, obviously you're gonna to want to :) If you just want to to get into better shape or for overall recreation (like me), getting a nice new bike could be the extra motivation you need to get your butt in gear :)

Consider your goals, what you want the bike for, etc., let us know, and i'm sure many helpful folks will have good feedback for you :)

Again, welcome to the fam!

-Chris

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Welcome to RBR.
Steel Frames are GREAT!
Let us know what kind of riding you plan to do.
My recommendation is convert it to a FG/SS and enjoy one of the best ways to ride - Single Gear.
Again WELCOME:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RBV, It's a great bike I've had zero issues with it. The bike it self rides smooth and responsive : and it's not jarring like my alu mountain bike 'that's for sure'.

The only thing 'maintenance' done was to take up the slack on the cables. I must admit I really haven't been riding much for the past 7 to 10 years, maybe a total of 10 times. Before that I was riding 5 to 6 days a week twice a day once in the morning then once at night. For the morning ride I'd ride down the lake front to the Adler Planetarium and back again and for the night ride I would go up Sheridan Rd. all the way to Glencoe and back. So, maybe a total of 45 miles for the day. If I recall correctly my avg mph was at 19 mph 'not to bad'.

I don't intend to race at all, but like you said I could use it as a motivation thing 'perhaps'.

jmlapoint, I agree the steel frame is a great material. Single gear, I've never ridden one really.

I want to start off with doing atleast 10 mile rides and progressing to 20 and more all the while getting my speed up. I'm 38 years old now and I smoke 'what a shitty habit to have' so I have to take it easy.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well, the GT was a great road bike. Perhaps you would like to quit smoking by riding the bike since you think it's such a bad habit?
If you bought a new bike from your local bike shop, you might find the motivation you need to improve your life. Don't sell the steel bike though!

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Reynolds 853 is fantastic, especially for the sort of urban riding you seem to be talking about: I know those roads, and a forgiving frame is a must!

Good luck quitting smoking...you could maybe do that thing where you put all your cigarette money in a jar or bank account somewhere and then buy a sweet new ride in a few months or years (depending on how much you smoke). By then you would've taken all your nic-fits out on the old bike and you'd be in fantastic shape:).

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Welcome to RBR! I quit smoking several times in my life, most recently a few months ago. I have since become recommitted to my cycling. It is a tough habit to break and it took meds to do it for me. I used Chantix and have not looked back. The bike you have is a good bike and will see you though getting back in to shape. Keep up the good work and stick with the cycling!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
crash11 said:
RBV, It's a great bike I've had zero issues with it. The bike it self rides smooth and responsive : and it's not jarring like my alu mountain bike 'that's for sure'.

The only thing 'maintenance' done was to take up the slack on the cables. I must admit I really haven't been riding much for the past 7 to 10 years, maybe a total of 10 times. Before that I was riding 5 to 6 days a week twice a day once in the morning then once at night. For the morning ride I'd ride down the lake front to the Adler Planetarium and back again and for the night ride I would go up Sheridan Rd. all the way to Glencoe and back. So, maybe a total of 45 miles for the day. If I recall correctly my avg mph was at 19 mph 'not to bad'.

I don't intend to race at all, but like you said I could use it as a motivation thing 'perhaps'.

jmlapoint, I agree the steel frame is a great material. Single gear, I've never ridden one really.

I want to start off with doing atleast 10 mile rides and progressing to 20 and more all the while getting my speed up. I'm 38 years old now and I smoke 'what a shitty habit to have' so I have to take it easy.
I agree with what everyone has been posting. If you can keep your motivation up on the bike you have now, ride it for a while, get in better shape, and if you're still serious about cycling, treat yourself to a new bike :) We'd all be happy to help you should it come time to pull the trigger on a new bike, but just remember that fit is King :thumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
welcome and its great to have another rider on here.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Welcome to RBR. Keep on keepin' on.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
I've been wanting to say "hello" since 2006...I guess the initial trepedation of mingling with teh Freds, teh J's and "some chick" who's beet fetish is wreaking havoc on a dude's marriage caused me to withdraw my greeting.

I'm ready to leave my shell, soooooo................................

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
real stonie said:
I've been wanting to say "hello" since 2006...I guess the initial trepedation of mingling with teh Freds, teh J's and "some chick" who's beet fetish is wreaking havoc on a dude's marriage caused me to withdraw my greeting.

I'm ready to leave my shell, soooooo................................

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's not the best idea to start by hanging out in the lounge :D

·
Poseur
1,408 Posts
rward325 said:
I used Chantix and have not looked back.
+1 for Chantix, but just make sure you read about the side effects. I quit last June after more than 40 years by using Chantix and have not had any desire for even one since then. Quitting will make a huge difference in your cycling. And welcome to RBR.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone for there advice and options. I will be using the same frame for now or until I get bit by the bug. Once it starts to hit the mid 50's here 'Chicago' I'm going to hit the roads. At the same time cut down on my daily intake of cigs. If all goes well I'll be in better shape and smoke free by the mid or end of summer.

I should've mentioned that those roads where in Chicago 'well, someone knew what I was taking about'. BTW, our roads are in really bad shape riddled what huge pot holes and bumpy patched ones 'they'll shake your teeth out of place'.

Thanks again for the warm hearted welcome.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
crash11 said:
Thanks to everyone for there advice and options. I will be using the same frame for now or until I get bit by the bug. Once it starts to hit the mid 50's here 'Chicago' I'm going to hit the roads. At the same time cut down on my daily intake of cigs. If all goes well I'll be in better shape and smoke free by the mid or end of summer.

I should've mentioned that those roads where in Chicago 'well, someone knew what I was taking about'. BTW, our roads are in really bad shape riddled what huge pot holes and bumpy patched ones 'they'll shake your teeth out of place'.

Thanks again for the warm hearted welcome.
I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you have 700x23c tires on the bike? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

If so, and you've got crap roads out there, I really can't stress enough how much more comfortable the 700x25c tires are in comparison. That should smooth out the crappy roads at least a little bit.

Good luck!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
After you get passed or dropped by some wankers, you will quit smoking. I guess smoking was fashionable once in the pro ranks. Those retro posters crack me up. Methinks those fellas brought up the rear.

For now, maybe consider setting up a trainer or rollers in your garage. Welcome aboard here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RoadBikeVirgin said:
I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you have 700x23c tires on the bike? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

If so, and you've got crap roads out there, I really can't stress enough how much more comfortable the 700x25c tires are in comparison. That should smooth out the crappy roads at least a little bit.

Good luck!
Bingo.

I might have to try that 'thanks'. I know performance is running a sale on tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
fast ferd said:
After you get passed or dropped by some wankers
LOL, that already happened last summer. On my way back from a short ride '6 miles' I got passed by a couple of ppl. Including what looked like a college student on her way to class.:blush2: All I could think about is wtf wtf wtf I'm out of shape. I'm really committed this year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts