Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Nope. Shimano 105. In fact the whole bike has the complete Shimano 105 group with the exception of the FSA crank and BB.

I was talking about style. In the MTB world riser bars are a style of bar. I saw some drop bars that have a riser-like bend in them. My bike fit is perfect, I just want a more upright riding position. Don't like riding hunched over.
I don't like riding hunched over either which is why I suggested the changes in the position of your drop bars and getting a more upright stem. Stems come in 40 degree riser stems which will get you up higher. Did you read my eaelier post about this?

But it appears you are unhappy with the brakes. If you can't live with the rim brakes and can't get high enough with my suggestions, the best choice would be to sell that bike and get a hybrid with straight bars. Putting straight bars on a road bike is an expensive rabbit hole. If you loved eveeything else about the bike, it might be worth it. It appears you won't be happy with this bike no matter what.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I don't like riding hunched over either which is why I suggested the changes in the position of your drop bars and getting a more upright stem. Stems come in 40 degree riser stems which will get you up higher. Did you read my eaelier post about this?
Yes, I read your post. However I like the stem that's on the bike right now, it's short and sweet, just the way I like them. I was looking at a drop bar on a website that is 17" wide and has a 2" rise in the middle. I think that will do the trick. I just need to learn how to wrap a bar.
But it appears you are unhappy with the brakes.
No, not anymore. I just got back from a short 10 mile ride and those brakes performed flawlessly. Stopped me every time with ease. No more complaints about the brakes, unless I'm trying to stop in the rain. But I usually ride my other bikes if it's a rainy day.
the best choice would be to sell that bike and get a hybrid with straight bars.
I'm not going to sell the bike and I already own a hybrid that gets ridden every week for commuting and errands.
Putting straight bars on a road bike is an expensive rabbit hole.
Not really. For less then $200 I could put a wide mountain bike bar on it with Shimano 3X10 shifters and Avid brake levers with money left over. However, I don't think I will. On my ride today I got used to the drop bars and enjoyed the many riding positions I could do. Just gonna look into getting wider drop bars. And maybe some new STI shifters, these ones are good but wearing out, even after applying some new grease to the internals.

Besides, flat bars on the bike would make it look a little silly right? Especially 30" wide bars like I have on the mountain bike...
It appears you won't be happy with this bike no matter what.
Don't recall that I said straight out that I hated it. After these rides I have done on it, my opinion of the bike is greatly changed. I'm highly enjoying the ride it gives. For the same energy I was applying to the pedals on the mountain bike to keep a steady 12 to 15 MPH I am now seeing 15 to 20 MPH on the road bike. The ride I did today was highly enjoyable. Quite happy with the bike.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
\In the MTB world riser bars are a style of bar. I saw some drop bars that have a riser-like bend in them. My bike fit is perfect, I just want a more upright riding position. Don't like riding hunched over.
I see. Well in the road bike world riding position is a pretty big component of 'fit'. But if perfect other than the riding position makes sense to you great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well I define "fit" as the frame sits a couple of inches below my crotch and the top tube length is on the short side. I did ride a bit hunched over today, more or less just got used to it. With more rides on the bike I am sure I will learn to love it. :)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Yes, I read your post. However I like the stem that's on the bike right now, it's short and sweet, just the way I like them. I was looking at a drop bar on a website that is 17" wide and has a 2" rise in the middle. I think that will do the trick. I just need to learn how to wrap a bar.

No, not anymore. I just got back from a short 10 mile ride and those brakes performed flawlessly. Stopped me every time with ease. No more complaints about the brakes, unless I'm trying to stop in the rain. But I usually ride my other bikes if it's a rainy day.

I'm not going to sell the bike and I already own a hybrid that gets ridden every week for commuting and errands.

Not really. For less then $200 I could put a wide mountain bike bar on it with Shimano 3X10 shifters and Avid brake levers with money left over. However, I don't think I will. On my ride today I got used to the drop bars and enjoyed the many riding positions I could do. Just gonna look into getting wider drop bars. And maybe some new STI shifters, these ones are good but wearing out, even after applying some new grease to the internals.

Besides, flat bars on the bike would make it look a little silly right? Especially 30" wide bars like I have on the mountain bike...

Don't recall that I said straight out that I hated it. After these rides I have done on it, my opinion of the bike is greatly changed. I'm highly enjoying the ride it gives. For the same energy I was applying to the pedals on the mountain bike to keep a steady 12 to 15 MPH I am now seeing 15 to 20 MPH on the road bike. The ride I did today was highly enjoyable. Quite happy with the bike.
Well this is certainly a turnaround from the way you felt earlier, but whatever works for you. So you're talking about getting riser drop bars? I never heard of any that have a 2" rise, but maybe they're making those now.

And wrapping bars isn't that difficult. Go to Art's Cyclery's site. They have some excellent how-to videos there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well this is certainly a turnaround from the way you felt earlier
Well a good ride to really get to know the bike changes a mind. Looking forward to more rides. Got track down some 3X10 shifters at some point though. :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Well I define "fit" as the frame sits a couple of inches below my crotch and the top tube length is on the short side. I did ride a bit hunched over today, more or less just got used to it. With more rides on the bike I am sure I will learn to love it. :)
The more you ride the more comfortable you will get with that riding position. That is barring any back injuries or weird lack of flexibility... “Hunched over” also means aerodynamic. 85% of your resistance is your frontal exposure. As you get more “cat back” you’ll see performance improvement. Into a headwind with good riding position, go down into the drops and you’ll actually shift up a harder gear or two. I do anyway... You are bringing good fitness to this bike, your form will follow suit. That’s great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
So anyone know a good place to pick up some new old stock Shimano 3X10 STI shifters? Perferably 105, but anything would work. Mine are on their last legs and Googling the issue hasn't helped. Other then that, love the bike!!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
So anyone know a good place to pick up some new old stock Shimano 3X10 STI shifters? Perferably 105, but anything would work. Mine are on their last legs and Googling the issue hasn't helped. Other then that, love the bike!!
Ebay is your best bet. Or Google Shimano 5600 shifters.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Quick question. So I don't like the 10 speed 11-28 cassette on the bike. I climb way too many hills around here and need a better climbing gear. So I installed my spare 10 speed 11-40 cassette on the bike. The Shimano 105 RD will work with it but it hates running in that 40T cog. Would it be easier to get a new 11-34 or 11-36 cassette on the bike or a simple derailleur extension link?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Quick question. So I don't like the 10 speed 11-28 cassette on the bike. I climb way too many hills around here and need a better climbing gear. So I installed my spare 10 speed 11-40 cassette on the bike. The Shimano 105 RD will work with it but it hates running in that 40T cog. Would it be easier to get a new 11-34 or 11-36 cassette on the bike or a simple derailleur extension link?
If this is a 10-speed road set up, an 8 or 9-speed mountain rear deeailleur like a Deore, LX or XT will work with an 11-36T 10-speed cassette. And it may ever work with that 11-40T cassette you have, but will probably shift clunky. Just make sure you test it in both extremes to be sure it doesn't go slack in small-small or rip the derailleur off the bike in big-big.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I might source out a new Deore Shadow RD for the bike but was thinking of just buying a new 11-34 cassette as the 11-40 I have is quite old and not the best at shifting.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
I might source out a new Deore Shadow RD for the bike but was thinking of just buying a new 11-34 cassette as the 11-40 I have is quite old and not the best at shifting.
11-34T on a triple crankset is too big a range for a road derailler. Even 11-32T is pushing it, but may squeak by, or may not. If you're looking for lower gearing, you will need an older mountain derailleur.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
11-34T on a triple crankset is too big a range for a road derailler. Even 11-32T is pushing it, but may squeak by, or may not. If you're looking for lower gearing, you will need an older mountain derailleur.
What about just installing a derailleur hanger extender? That worked to run my mountain bike's 2X8 drivetrain when I ran a 11-51t cassette.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hmmm. Welcome! Weird question... Your health can’t ride off road but you want to ride on road? I’m not sure I understand that logic?
actually it makes totally 100% perfect good sense

Myself and a number of folks I've talked to lately feel the same way. The local trails here in Victoria BC are too janky, every 100 feet is a 160bpm hard accel to get over some obstacle or other. I got a concussion, another guy I know in his 50s broke his neck lately and a third guy actually died on trail. We just do not have 'XC' style trails here, it is all stunty trails for the kids but I don't have the green bones for it. Also my cardiologist wants me to stay 135bpm (complications from a valve infection decades ago) and below which makes many trails impossible. Oh I also farked up my shoulder crashing MTB and was in physio for a year before it cured itself.

Road biking is so sensible, smooth and predictable. I haven't fallen off a road bike since 1994 and that was in a bunch crash in a race lol.

However, I ride MTB in Arizona a lot where MTB makes sense and there are plenty of XC riding options near my winter house.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thank you. Some one else that actually gets it. Oregon's trails are the same way as you describe yours in BC. Just can't do it. Besides, I enjoy urban riding much more at this point.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
What about just installing a derailleur hanger extender? That worked to run my mountain bike's 2X8 drivetrain when I ran a 11-51t cassette.
Nope, different animal. There are two limiting factors for the derailleur. 1) The geometry of the derailleur which an extender like the Wolftooth would work for. That would help if your cassette is too large for your derailleur, but you are still within the range of what your cage can handle...... and 2) The length of the cage which is a limiting factor for the range of gears you are dealing with - an extender won't work for this.

In this case you are dealing with a triple in front which I presume is a 30/39/50. That is a 20 tooth range right there. Not sure what you have on your 2x8 mountain bike, but I'm guessing it's something like a 24/40 which is a 16 toth range.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts