Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Actually the crank is a FSA Gossamer Mega Exo, 24/34/50 teeth. MTB has a 22/44 setup.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
actually it makes totally 100% perfect good sense

Myself and a number of folks I've talked to lately feel the same way. The local trails here in Victoria BC are too janky, every 100 feet is a 160bpm hard accel to get over some obstacle or other. I got a concussion, another guy I know in his 50s broke his neck lately and a third guy actually died on trail. We just do not have 'XC' style trails here, it is all stunty trails for the kids but I don't have the green bones for it. Also my cardiologist wants me to stay 135bpm (complications from a valve infection decades ago) and below which makes many trails impossible. Oh I also farked up my shoulder crashing MTB and was in physio for a year before it cured itself.

Road biking is so sensible, smooth and predictable. I haven't fallen off a road bike since 1994 and that was in a bunch crash in a race lol.

However, I ride MTB in Arizona a lot where MTB makes sense and there are plenty of XC riding options near my winter house.
Oh, I never considered having a goal of sub 135bpm. That makes sense. MTB is more extreme in the efforts on climbs and effort on dangerous descents, no doubt.. The hardest climb I’ve ever done was a little over a mile up a grade that is far from frightening but it was in 4-5 inches of unbroken icy wet snow. It’s the only time I havei have gone for a lower gear on my mtb only to find I was already in the SOS gear! I figured you just ride to your limit all the time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Thank you. Some one else that actually gets it. Oregon's trails are the same way as you describe yours in BC. Just can't do it. Besides, I enjoy urban riding much more at this point.
Snark boy... You’ll fit in just fine here.

Reactions: kona0197

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Can my 105 handle a 11-32 cassette without any issues?
Is that triple really a 24/34/50? That's a 26 tooth range! No way an 11-32T will work with that RD. Get an older 8 or 9 speed Deore derailleur. I emphasize it must be an 8 or 9 speed mountain RD. A 10-speed mountain RD has different shift ratios and will not work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Well the stock cassette is a 11-28. Don't see how adding 4 more teeth would hurt. The 105 on it is a long cage, just as long as the SRAM X5 on my MTB.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
Well the stock cassette is a 11-28. Don't see how adding 4 more teeth would hurt. The 105 on it is a long cage, just as long as the SRAM X5 on my MTB.
Well then try it. But nobody will guarantee it will work.

Are you sure that FSA Gossamer crankset is a 24/34/50? If so, that definitely is not original rings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So I went down and studied the bike. Turns out the crank is a 30/42/53. Hopefully a 11-32 works with it along with the long cage RD.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,152 Posts
So I went down and studied the bike. Turns out the crank is a 30/42/53. Hopefully a 11-32 works with it along with the long cage RD.
Ha! That's what I thought it might be. In that case, see my earlier post. You could squeak by with an 11-32T, but test carefully before you ride.

FYI, there is no such thing as a long-cage road derailleur, only short and mid-cage. Yours is most likely a mid-cage. And if you get a long-cage mountain derailleur (the 8 or 9 speed RD I mentioned before), an 11-36T should work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'll try it. Don't really wanna spend the cash on a Deore SLX to run to 11-40. The cage measures the same as my X5 on the MTB but due to design it sits differently on the rear.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
How do you engage in that much speculation and discussion while using the wrong data the whole time? Lombard is giving hyper detailed estimates of RD capacity and your rings are off by a ton. Weird. Garbage in garbage out. At least you now know what’s on your bike.

Good luck! I hope you get the gears that allow you to keep riding. I’ve had so much incredibly valuable feedback from folks on this thread when I was doing a new build, it helped more than I can state!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
How do you engage in that much speculation and discussion while using the wrong data the whole time?
Yeah that's my bad. I hope I get it worked out as well. Love the bike, but miss the MTB gearing. I love going at a slow and steady pace, around 7 MPH. That translates to bigger cogs in the rear, especially with the hills I deal with over here. I'll try to get to know the bike better so I don't sound like an idiot when I post.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts