Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been bmx/mtb for a few years now but i just got into road bikes a few days ago. I picked up an old Motobecane Super Mirage and plan to make it a single speed. I took the derailleurs off and shortened the chain on to make it a cheap single speed. I plan to get a fixed/free hub soon and a new back rim. My questions are:
1) is 27" the same as 700c?
2) whats a good lightweight rim to use for someone who weights 190lbs
3) Right now its a threaded fork and stem, can i convert it to a threadless fork with a headset or will the frame not except it?

im sure there are more things i will ask but thats all i can think of for now. Thanks to anyone that helps me out.

Chris

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
itschrisb said:
My questions are:
1) is 27" the same as 700c? no - 700C is smaller diameter than 27". tires are not interchangable - if it were me & I had to make a decision, I'd change to the 700s - there's a much better selection of tires available.
2) whats a good lightweight rim to use for someone who weights 190lbs Mavic Open Pro, Velocity Deep V
3) Right now its a threaded fork and stem, can i convert it to a threadless fork with a headset or will the frame not except it? Yes it'll convert just fine. Assuming your frame is steel, you'll need a fork and a stem that are both 1". 1 1/8" won't fit.

· Registered
2,651 Posts
1) is 27" the same as 700c?
No way, the 27 is department store, you need presta valves with 700c..that's cool.
2) whats a good lightweight rim to use for someone who weighs 190lbs
You don't need to worry about lightweight, you need durable like I do. We can lose weight from our gut, don't worry about wheel weight. Open pro is right.
(3) Right now its a threaded fork and stem, can i convert it to a threadless fork with a headset or will the frame not except it?
If you are worried how your headseat looks, then it's time to buy a new bike. If you see an old bike with a threadless wannabe set up, man that's lame. Just look into buying a new bike, now that will really make you want to ride!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.