Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been bmx/mtb for a few years now but i just got into road bikes a few days ago. I picked up an old Motobecane Super Mirage and plan to make it a single speed. I took the derailleurs off and shortened the chain on to make it a cheap single speed. I plan to get a fixed/free hub soon and a new back rim. My questions are:
1) is 27" the same as 700c?
2) whats a good lightweight rim to use for someone who weights 190lbs
3) Right now its a threaded fork and stem, can i convert it to a threadless fork with a headset or will the frame not except it?

im sure there are more things i will ask but thats all i can think of for now. Thanks to anyone that helps me out.

Chris

· Registered
108 Posts
itschrisb said:
Ive been bmx/mtb for a few years now but i just got into road bikes a few days ago. I picked up an old Motobecane Super Mirage and plan to make it a single speed. I took the derailleurs off and shortened the chain on to make it a cheap single speed. I plan to get a fixed/free hub soon and a new back rim. My questions are:
1) is 27" the same as 700c?
2) whats a good lightweight rim to use for someone who weights 190lbs
3) Right now its a threaded fork and stem, can i convert it to a threadless fork with a headset or will the frame not except it?

im sure there are more things i will ask but thats all i can think of for now. Thanks to anyone that helps me out.

Chris
27 is a different size than 700. Both are widely available, as are spare parts, although 27 is an older standard and are heavier (also made of heavier material as new wheels are almost always 700cc now).

For single speed fixies, I think people prefer bomb proof over really light, especially at 190lbs. Personally I ride with Mavic Aksiums, which are heavier, but I've never had a problem with them, enough flex to be comfortable, but strong enough to never ever need truing.

There are conversion kits and instructions available online for changing over to threadless, although can be somewhat complicated for a novice. Again, threaded is widely available, so I would keep your set up unless you needed a newer fork.

· Registered
232 Posts
1) No, close but not the same. 27" rims are actually 630mm in diameter. 700c rims are 622mm in diameter

2) I use Mavic Open Pro, 32 spokes, 3x pattern. I'm 215lbs

3) Yes, you can convert to 1" threadless (which is not as common as 1 1/8" but still available) with a new fork, headset, and stem

Good Luck

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so then if i buy 700c wheels they will work on my bike or do i need to buy 27" wheels?

Im looking into getting a formula/mavic wheelset. Formula hubs laced to 32h Mavic CXP22 rims. Is that a good setup for now instead of running the stock wheels?

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Akirasho said:
... maybe...

Depends on a few factors (ability to align brake pads (per given calipers) to rim) but you might need what's known as a drop bolt..
To be a little more precise, brake caliper reach is the only thing you need to worry about. If your existing brake calipers have enough adjustment slot left so the pads can be moved 4mm lower than where they are for the 27" wheels, then they'll work. Everything elso on the bike will work with the 700c wheels.

If you do get a new fork, it will be made for 700c wheels, so that would take care of the front brake issue, BUT there's no good reason (IMO) to switch to threadless. Threaded headsets work fine, though they can be a little trickier to adjust than the threadless, and the quill stems have the advantage of easier height adjustment. You'd really gain nothing by switching.

If you do need more reach than the existing brakes have available, usually the cheapest and most solid way to do it is to buy new calipers, rather than mess with kludgy dropbolts. There are inexpensive and good-functioning long-reach calipers made by Tektro (also sold as a house brand by Nashbar and others). Just be sure to measure the actual reach you need so you get the right ones.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.