Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, Im new to the road (like, still in the womb) and had a couple questions. Shocking, right!? Haha

Anyways, I want to start off by saying that I DID try the search, but after the 2nd page I got a little annoyed with it and thought I would try posting a new thread. Like I said, I am pretty new to road riding. I have not yet owned my own road bike, but I have been on a few rides in the past on my "mother-in-law's" Trek. I, coming from the mountain bike world, am a huge fan of Specialized bikes, and wouldnt mind staying with the brand. If the company has treated me well, and produced awesome mountain bikes that I want to spend my hard earned money on, I see it fit to consider their road bikes as well. Alright, lets get to the good stuff....

I dont know much about road bikes or road components, and I am asking for your advice. Eventually, I want to get into doing triathlons, and will need a bike fit for it. As I understand it, there are different types of bikes or bike set ups for tri racing? Im not too terribly worried about finding a bike fit for tri just yet, but rather I am looking for something to get me in shape, and used to the road feeling. The Allez has caught my eye, and after reading some reviews about it, I think it is safe to say that it isnt a bad bike for the price.

Can you guys suggest anything for me? Is this the wrong bike to look at? Maybe I should start out on a totally different frame? What size frame should I consider, being about 6 foot tall or so? I know the Trek that I rode had to have been way too small for me, but I have no idea what size it is. Maybe thats something I can look into tomorrow. I also plan on heading to my LBS in the next few days to test ride couple bikes, and also asking for their advice too. Is there a certain component group that I should look out for? Sorry for all the questions, but I figure there probably isnt a better way to learn then to ask those that are passionate about it. I know a crap load about MTB stuff, because I live it 24/7 and am passionate about it.

Thanks guys! I know it was long, but I look forward to read your responses and suggestions. Also, any thoughts on the link below?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/bik/738589827.html

·
I self medicate, I ride
37 Posts
First off, being an experienced rider you know getting the fit question solved is the priority.
The right move there is visiting your LBS and getting fitted. Just as with MTB same size bikes can be very different. Work with you LBS to get the dimensions that you need.
Once that is squared away, IMO I would start out with a standard road setup, get some experience and then when transition to the tri setup. That is my suggestion.

For the 2 bikes you have there, disregarding the size issue I would go Allex w/the road setup. I am guessing the seller would throw in the tri equipment to for when you would want to give that a shot.

Solve the size problem first though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think its hard for anyone online to assess your needs. I would highly recommend (if you havent already) that you visit your LBS and meet with someone that is FIST certified. The people that work there have a wealth of knowledge and would be able to better help you with your needs. I think the most important thing is fit and then rest will come into place. I am looking for a bike right now and have decided not to purchase a used bike because most shops will get you fitted for a new bike and service your bike for its lifetime (at least this particular shop i am working with will do so). Just make sure you get the right fit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.