Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Trek Hybrid for about 10 years and rid it at least 3 times a week for about 8 miles. I am 75 years old and seems like the effort to ride is getting harder all the time. I love to ride and hate to give it up. I have never owned or road a “road bike”. My question to the board is; does it take less effort to ride a road bike and how much can I expect to pay for a decent trek road bike? Nothing fancy but something that will serve my purpose that I mentioned above?
Thanks in advance

·
Stay Fit!
182 Posts
Welcome! I hope I'm still pedaling away when I'm 75. What type of surface do you ride on? Most smooth road? How wide are your tires on your hybrid? It may be as simple as having your local shop put on a 1.25 "slick" tire.

From the Trek lineup, have a look at the new Fisher Fast City bikes.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I bought my first road bike at 64. Now I own three. I suspect you'll like a road bike. My club has several riders in their 80's.

My new Madone 5.2 is just superb. If you spring for a Madone, you'll probably want a more upright riding position than the average 28 year-old so get Trek's new H3 geometry or use a stem riser.

For a best buy, it is hard to beat the Trek 1.5 bike. It's aluminium so you'll need a Satori stem riser to get an upright riding position (I have one on 2 of my bikes; they work fine).

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
The Trek 2.1 is also available in an H3 for 2010. It's only $1200--I'd definitely recommend an H3 2.1 over an H2 1.5. If you're thinking of riding longer distances, get a road bike rather than an FX.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts