Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently got an indoor trainer for my road bike. i have never used one before and am fairly new to road biking. i was wondering what kind of workout i could do on this thing to start with? i have a heart rate monitor but i don't have a cadence option on my cycling computer. should i get one? and what can i do in the meantime? thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
you don't need a cadence monitor. inside you have nothing better to do, so count of rpm's for 10secs every once and awhile. thats plenty. I watch VS and cooking shows while listening to techno on sirius. as for my training plan, I do whatever my coach has presrcibed for the day. BTW, I ride a schwinn spin bike. I can't stand bikes on turbo trainers, but that's me, and most people don't agree with me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use a metronome to keep cadence while using the trainer. I have a gear table, so by knowing my cadence I know how "fast" I'm going. I have an older bike dedicated to the trainer and didn't want to bother getting another bike computer.

Dancer

·
Beatchin' Technology
372 Posts
depends...

I should do more intervals, I guess. But, it isn't something that I look forward to in the offseason.

About half the time I spin in the middle of the cassette on the big ring at 90rpm for an hours. Also, do Spinervals DVDs. Sometimes I watch a movie for an hour to an hour and half. Finally, I watch race (TdF, Giro) DVDs.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Even if I plan a trainer ride for only 30 minutes or an hour, having a very structured plan helps me a lot.

Just getting on and thinking "ride for an hour" with no structure is a nightmare.

So have a plan!

Here is just an example for a three hour (previously unheard of) trainer ride I found on-line.

Hour One - warming up
15 minute warm up (160 watts)
15 minute Single Leg Drill (1 minute left leg, 1 minute right leg, 1 minute both, repeat)
15 minute steady riding (180 watts)
15 minute tempo riding (200+ watts)

Hour Two - big gear, low cadence work
4x (10 minutes of big ring, low cadence, 5 minute recovery)
I went one gear harder after each 10 minute segment, so my cadence lowered throughout the set. #1: 70rpm, #2, 65 rpm, #3 60rpm, #4 55rpm.

Hour Three - power hour!
The third hour is a ladder effort of 2x through:
(1 minute easy, 1 minute hard, 2 minutes easy, 2 minutes hard, 3 minutes easy, 3 minutes hard, 4 minutes easy, 4 minutes hard, 5 minutes easy, 5 minutes hard).

·
Registered
896 Posts
there is nothing magic about a trainer. its like a bike outside. either train with power or HR. speed/gearing makes no difference. cadence, muscle tension, and HR do matter. power is better if you have it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
If you don't already have one get a really good fan.
It’ll make your time on the trainer a bit more bearable

·
Registered
896 Posts
not to mention that excessive heat will in fact elevate your HR, which if you are training with an HRM will potentially cause you to work at lower loads

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
Dancer said:
I use a metronome to keep cadence while using the trainer. I have a gear table, so by knowing my cadence I know how "fast" I'm going. I have an older bike dedicated to the trainer and didn't want to bother getting another bike computer.

Dancer
Holy crap. I never even thought about using my metronome for cadence.:thumbsup:

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
I really like the vision quest real rides videos, but find that as long as I can keep my cadence, anything on tv is fine to work out to. More action type movies work well if you need some motivation to keep pumped up.

I REEEEAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY like having cadence on my computer, compared to not on my old bike/computer combo, but If you want to keep your own cadence, remember its 15 full revolutions every 10 seconds, to make 90 cadence. so that means a running clock of some sort would help. the metronome idea sounds good too. But having it on the computer is a pretty nice feature.

·
Registered
896 Posts
if I had to choose between a fan and a cadence meter while inside, i'd choose the fan every time. i can count my rpm's....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts