Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my first road bike a 09 Robaux comp size 54. I'm 5'9" on a good day. The guys at the shop were great and took some time to size me up and all but....When I'm in the drops I feel like my head is hanging over the front wheel. I'm not really sure how I should feel. I'm liking the bike for the most part other than feeling like it's a bit compact while riding. I'm coming from mountain bike, Ibis Mojo and an 03 Epic both of which have a longer top tube. Any help on ride position would help. What about the whole deal about the bars blocking the hub when your in the drops. Thanks

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
smt42 said:
So I just bought my first road bike a 09 Robaux comp size 54. I'm 5'9" on a good day. The guys at the shop were great and took some time to size me up and all but....When I'm in the drops I feel like my head is hanging over the front wheel. I'm not really sure how I should feel. I'm liking the bike for the most part other than feeling like it's a bit compact while riding. I'm coming from mountain bike, Ibis Mojo and an 03 Epic both of which have a longer top tube. Any help on ride position would help. What about the whole deal about the bars blocking the hub when your in the drops. Thanks
Congrats on the new bike - it's a pretty nice choice as a first road bike! :thumbsup:

Ideally, get someone to take a full length/ side view pic of you on the bike and post it. That'll tell us a lot about your fit. Barring that and just judging how you describe your position, I think you could try placing your hands on the hoods and simulate a riding position to check to see if the bars obscure the front hub. I agree with those that say it's not the best measurement, but for our purposes, it'll show glaring problems with your fit - if there are any.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i dont really know too much about fit on road bikes but im around the same height as you and have an 09 roubaix elite in a 54, i was feeling cramped when i got the bike first, i think i needed to get used to the road bike feeling,

i moved the seat all the way back and this helped because after a little time i noticed i had plenty of room i just had to get used to the feel of the bike, i moved the seat a little forward again and changed the angle, its a good fit now, a few seat adjustments can make a big difference

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
i dont really know too much about fit on road bikes but im around the same height as you and have an 09 roubaix elite in a 54, i was feeling cramped when i got the bike first, i think i needed to get used to the road bike feeling,

i moved the seat all the way back and this helped because after a little time i noticed i had plenty of room i just had to get used to the feel of the bike, i moved the seat a little forward again and changed the angle, its a good fit now, a few seat adjustments can make a big difference
It's good that this worked for you, but adjusting for fit by moving the seat fore/ aft is not correct. That adjustment is for KOPS (+/-). To adjust for comfort, small, incremental changes to tilt are fine, though. If a cockpit is cramped, the correct adjustments are made to stem length - too 'aggressive', then stem angle.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but I did want to set the record straight for the OP.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i know but what i meant was i did feel cramped when i first got the bike until i got used to the different position and fiddled with this and that, i realised i wasnt cramped at all, i just wasnt used to riding a road bike, now after a few weeks i love it and the fit was actually correct to begin with

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
i know but what i meant was i did feel cramped when i first got the bike until i got used to the different position and fiddled with this and that, i realised i wasnt cramped at all, i just wasnt used to riding a road bike, now after a few weeks i love it and the fit was actually correct to begin with
Point taken and I'm glad you're lovin' your bike! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
203 Posts
PJ352 said:
It's good that this worked for you, but adjusting for fit by moving the seat fore/ aft is not correct. That adjustment is for KOPS (+/-). To adjust for comfort, small, incremental changes to tilt are fine, though. If a cockpit is cramped, the correct adjustments are made to stem length - too 'aggressive', then stem angle.

Not trying to be confrontational here, but I did want to set the record straight for the OP.
Why would saddle for/aft NOT be a fit element?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
cyclequip said:
Why would saddle for/aft NOT be a fit element?
Saddle fore/ aft is a fit element, and I didn't say otherwise.

My response was relating to darkest_fugue's remark....
...i was feeling cramped... i moved the seat all the way back...

This is the way to adjust for KOPS +/-, not reach issues. Adjustments to stem length (and to some degree) rise and bars are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts