Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding MTB for about 3 years now. Have not gotten to ride as much as I would like as of late, but would be able to ride more if I got a road bike. So I am looking to make a purchase this weekend.

I am not looking to be a racer, but I am looking for a solid and comfortable bike I can use for 25+ mile rides, hopefully building my endurance up. The bike is for fitness and exercise, not for commuting.

The two that I have narrowed my search down to on the basis of research and reviews are the Jamis Ventura Race and Specialized Secteur. I can go ride a Secteur this afternoon at the LBS. However our local Jamis dealer is more of a MTB store, so he does not have any Ventura builds for me to test ride. However, the Jamis dealer is easy to work with, and I can get the 105 components swapped out for SRAM Rival at no additional costs. This is a benefit to me as I am just a huge fan and proponent of SRAM in the MTB world.

So, how do I know if a bike I can't ride is right for me? I did that in the spring with my Salsa Big Mama when I did a frame-up build, and I still haven't dialed it in just yet.

Any thoughts on these two bikes?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
StompinStu said:
Been riding MTB for about 3 years now. Have not gotten to ride as much as I would like as of late, but would be able to ride more if I got a road bike. So I am looking to make a purchase this weekend.

I am not looking to be a racer, but I am looking for a solid and comfortable bike I can use for 25+ mile rides, hopefully building my endurance up. The bike is for fitness and exercise, not for commuting.

The two that I have narrowed my search down to on the basis of research and reviews are the Jamis Ventura Race and Specialized Secteur. I can go ride a Secteur this afternoon at the LBS. However our local Jamis dealer is more of a MTB store, so he does not have any Ventura builds for me to test ride. However, the Jamis dealer is easy to work with, and I can get the 105 components swapped out for SRAM Rival at no additional costs. This is a benefit to me as I am just a huge fan and proponent of SRAM in the MTB world.

So, how do I know if a bike I can't ride is right for me? I did that in the spring with my Salsa Big Mama when I did a frame-up build, and I still haven't dialed it in just yet.

Any thoughts on these two bikes?
IMO if you can't test ride a bike (of any brand), don't consider it. Simple as that. While I understand that many Jamis shops tend to be smaller (thus, limited inventory), you can't be expected to commit to a bike you never sat on. If the owner/ manager doesn't recognize the importance of being sized/ fitted and test riding any contenders, move on.

Assuming the fit is right, for the type of riding you're doing I think the Secteur will suite you. The geometry mirrors that of their Roubaix line and runs slightly wider tires (25c), so a dose of comfort is part of that package.

I wouldn't limit options, though. Assumimg this is your first road bike, IMO it's better to expose yourself to some other makes/ models in a similar market segment. If you have any C'dale dealers nearby, you might want to check out their Synapse, and Trek has the Pilot, but there are others.

I'm not implying that the Secteur isn't a good choice, because I think it is. But by riding some others, you'll be able to determine what fits/ feels, rides and handles the way you like - and narrow the field from there.

EDIT: It might also be worth trying to hunt down that Ventura, because they're nice bikes as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts