Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am just getting into riding and look for an entry level bike. I have looked at a few bikes but have not test rode any of these yet. Any feedback on any of these and are these fair prices?

2007 Trek 1200 - $700 (this may even be a 2006)
2007 Specialized Allez (not sure of double, triple, etc.) - $950
2007 Trek Portland - $1000

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you buying from an individual or from a bike shop?
Without you getting into the buildup / condition of the bikes it is tough to speak to what is a good value; however, what I can tell you (from another newbie roadie) is that I was VERY happy buying my bike from a professional bike shop.

There is no economy in buying a bike that doesn't fit you or one that has been poorly maintained. You won't ride it or like it. You can buy a nice bike in the range you are shopping in from a reputable bike dealer that will fit you and will put a smile on your face for years to come... Just my $0.02

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
I do agree with getting fit. Of the three, they're comparable. You could also look into getting sized, looking at bikesdirect.com (they've got a couple good values for the price) and get a bike shop to assemble, tune, and fit it for you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What if you don't like it?

I am also a newbie and bought a bike two days ago. I forced myself not to drop a bag of cash because I want to know if I will like the sport first. I set a $500.00 used bike budget and started calling people I trust and whom I know seriously ride (friends / colleagues who really know their stuff since I don't hehe!) asking if someone had a bike for sale. My accountant did and he had already done 95% of the upgrades through the years so I bought his bike. (More bang for your buck!!! Like 1 Year Old Ferrari) The bike looks new and it rides great.

I would go to a shop and get their advice on size then ask if they have a club they sponsor and if anyone has a good deal on a used bike. The shop here has gladly offered to help me with my bike in exchange for a tune-up and fitting charge. ($80.00) Of course, I am going to buy all my gear from them and word of mouth their way in terms of great service. They got to sell me shoes, pedals, helmet, shorts, shirt, tools, air pumps, seat bag, etc...

Everyone was happy and it's kind of cool to recycle!!! Plus you can take a little of that left over cash and buy the right shoes / pedals & Saddle.

My bike shop had a list of people selling their used bikes who ride in their club.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
All 3 are good entry level bikes. The 1200 and Allez are pure road bikes, the Portland is a bit more of a commuter / cross bike. The prices seam good. A new Portland list for $1699.99.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.