Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm completely new to the concept of road biking. Some guys form my work go out a lot after work and I joined them last week and had a blast so I'm in the market for a bike.
Thant being said, this is what I'm looking for and this is what I have found......
I'm a newbie, they will ride anywhere from 15-30 miles a night (not much for most I'm guessing). When I went out with them we did 18 and I was perfectly fine with that. As it is my first bike, I dont want to spend too much, but I dont want a POS either.
I found a Trek 1220 from a guy on eBay. (I'm posting this a little hastily, but I want a bike sooner rather than later) Not sure of the year yet, but this is what it has (in his words)..."It has RSX brakes w/ intergrated shifters, RSX triple cranks, RX100 derail's, and TitanTech wheels w/ Itterio Kevlar tires that are near new but dirty sidewalls. No cracks that I can see and very few marks from riding."
I know very little about this stuff, so if you all could give me some insight, it would be really apreciated.
When I know the year, mileage, ect that I jsut asked him I will add that stuff on.
But, until then if you all could give your opinions on this, it would be great!
Thanks

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
How much? Do you think the size is good for you? I'm guessing from the pics it's like a 56-57cm frame. Have you ridden a bike about that size? The RSX is older 7 speed, servicable but about bottom of the Shimano line up. The RSX might have a hard time if you begin riding a lot. The pic shows a double crank, your description says triple. The guy doesn't sound like the owner/rider of the bike, just a re-seller.

Take your time and make sure whatever bike you get fits and is something that won't let you down. A name brand like Trek is a good start. I would try and stay with 105 level parts, and at least 9speed, as the older parts will be getting harder to find.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Clearly it is a triple. You won't be able to find parts for much of this bike if something breaks because pretty much everything on it has been superseded by better standards (fork / stem for example). I guess it's a good buy for $100 if all you want to do is find out if you like road riding, but other than that I'd buy something with more modern components that are easily upgradable.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Depends on price, etc., but ...

I think it looks like a pretty decent bike. I'm guessing it's around a '96 - '97 model. I had a similar Trek at one time, and my impression is that their aluminum bikes from that era were well made and rode OK. Not the best thing on the block, but not the worst either. The RSX components probably will hold up fine, unless they already have a lot of wear on them. If the price is right (I'd think $100 - $150 at the most) and assuming it fits, it could be a good bike to get started. Then again, don't be in too much of a hurry to buy. Take a little time to shop around, and depending on your budget you might find something better.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I don't think I'd buy a bike on ebay or something that you couldn't sit on or try out.
Especially since your new and you probably don't have any idea what your "size" is.
What's your budget?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts