Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a very windy ride I have a 15 mile loop that I ride by my house. The wind really picked up from the south it was hard to hold 15mph and the crosswind was worse but when I was headed back home with the wind behind me and on flat gound, I hit
40.2 mph. That is a new personal best for me on flat ground I usually don't ride when it's that windy probably 35mph or more

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
I suppose it depends on the tailwind, the actual course you're riding on and the
length of that course and if there are no obstacles such as buildings or trees to
lessen the constancy of that tailwind.

I'll have to see if I can engineer something like this though. Could be fun.

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I'd be lucky to get much over 30mph on flat ground....and that would be with a strong tailwind..
+1...I can easily get to 35+ with a slight downhill before I spin my gears out, but flats? Thirty is pretty fast without drafting--you might hit 40 in a sprint, but only for s second or 2...maybe the OP is...

AARONTOY!!!

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
andy02 said:
Can I get the back story on that picture?
a
The thread that started it all:

http://archive.roadbikereview.com/04/0EFD45F5.php

classic J's quote here:

J's Carmichael 3 mile TT results & position critique request

i'm sorry aaron, but i couldn't help it.

at lunch i decided to compare my results on a mostly flat 3-mile time trial course. it's a tree-canopied gently curving loop course that's very lightly trafficked.

results: approximtely 3 miles in 1 minute, 30 seconds. now i know most of you will be sceptical, but i've been dialing in my position and the bike was just tuned-up and fitted with a new chain and new rear tire. i was going about 135 mph for well over a mile, and felt like i could go faster still, if not for the front end coming off the ground.

btw, please critique my position.

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
PltJett said:
I've hit 43 on the track before in a match sprint. And that was in a 49-15.
banked track though? And only for a few seconds I imagine.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Banked track, but I was in the strightaway, so I wasn't going downhill. And O yea, only for about 30-40 meters. I've always been a sprinter. I mean, for me, a 15-20 mile ride is LONG....

And my knees didnt explod becasuse I'm 18 and young :) Folks that were watching that said I was at about 200-210 rpm. But like said, for a very short amount of time

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
MB1 said:
Great, another chance for everyone to lie about how big their johnson is.....
Since you asked, it's roughly the size of a small child.
I can also bench 900 pounds, run a 2:10 marathon and have beaten Lance's time up Alp d' Huez by about 3 hours. Oh, and I raced in Europe, so you have to listen to me, because I know more about cycling than you.

As for the 3-mile time trial, I did it so fast that I was done before I started.

·
Shirtcocker
60,640 Posts
MB1 said:
Great, another chance for everyone to lie about how big their johnson is.....
I'm gonna say Aarontoy 3x and see what happens.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to my garmin my cadence was about 125 in a 52/12 my heartrate was 166. It was for just a short time, it took all I could do to go from 38 to just over 40 fyi I am 53, 5'8" and I weigh 190, down from 260 last Christmas and Just about 3000 miles this year

·
Registered
47 Posts
bigjohnson54 said:
According to my garmin my cadence was about 125 in a 52/12 my heartrate was 166. It was for just a short time, it took all I could do to go from 38 to just over 40 fyi I am 53, 5'8" and I weigh 190, down from 260 last Christmas and Just about 3000 miles this year
BaHullShit

Sorry, but a fish tale is a fish tale anyway you fillet it. ;-)

·
The Right Wing
843 Posts
Hmmm

bahueh said:
I'm calling BS on that.....from my calculator at 5'10, 150#, flat surface at 210rpm...you would have been putting out over 1600 watts...
Does 1600 surprise you? Do you think we sprinters can't follow you up the hills because we are lazy? No, it is because our quads weigh more than you do.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.