Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
USAC Level 2 Coach
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I am planning on touring with my partner but she needs a bike. I have a Surly Crosscheck and am siked with it. But I need input on what to get her. I like some recomondations on some steal frames, componant group sets. If money was no issue what would you get. Also, a question to all the women tourers. My partner is small and will ride a small frame. Do any of you roll 29ers on your touring bikes. I have them on my bike, and thus thinking about touring together and having spair parts that work for both bikes. Do you ever have problems with foot overlap with the front wheel.

·
Start wearing purple
100 Posts
I'd say a Long haul trucker with 26" wheels. It doesn't solve the spare part problem but it does fix the foot overlap issue.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Are you going to be credit card touring or loaded on the PanAm trail touring?

If you're trending towards lighter weight travel, she could stick with something a little less burly than the Surly. Terry makes some women's specific frames...or she could go custom.

But if speed isn't really an issue and you'll be carrying enough that a small weight difference won't matter much, the Long Haul Trucker is probably the simplest way to go.

I'm building my wife a 52cm CrossCheck for light touring and all-rounder use...she normally rides a 700c bike, so I don't see it as an issue.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
if cost isn't an issue, talk to co-motion about one of their custom loaded touring frames...

Or Bruce Gordon if you want something a bit nicer than an LHT.

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
A friend just bought a new bike for touring. She's really petite, so she shopped size first, everything else second.

She bought a Bianchi Volpe. It's steel and comes in a 44cm. It's sold as a cyclocross bike, but it has longer chainstays like a touring bike and rack and fender mounts. Again, the size was most important--it fits her--and this bike's easily adaptable to touring.

It's 700c and she does have some toe overlap, (as I do on my bike) but on the test ride she found I was right, and it's a non-issue at speeds over a fast walk.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
You don't say how small your partner is, but Surly makes a 42cm (still takes 700c wheels) Travelers Check (Cross Check with SS couplers). My wife has one and says its the best bike she has. This comment comes from a woman who has a custom Gunnar and a Colnago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.