Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it that the company can once again have the lightest production frame that's rated to 275lbs, but other top players can only go to 240lbs or less? For $10k, the Cervelo Rca should do better than 220 pounds!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
It's probably what each brand's lawyers and actuarial department advised. "How can we maximize profits and at the same time minimize lawsuits?" It's a balancing act. Remember the Ford Pinto fiasco back in the late 1970's. Ford admitted that it was cheaper to pay off an occasional lawsuit than spend $8 extra per car to place the gas tank where it wouldn't explode on impact.

I wouldn't advise anybody of that weight to ride a carbon frame.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Road guys tend to be a highly educated group. I think most of us have been around enough He's to know THEY ALL SAY NO!! LOVE or hate Trek their modern carbon is pretty robust. And they are stating it with warranty and rider weight restrictions. Some credit is due.

Disclaimer...im a Clyde and a trek owner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Road guys tend to be a highly educated group. I think most of us have been around enough He's to know THEY ALL SAY NO!! LOVE or hate Trek their modern carbon is pretty robust. And they are stating it with warranty and rider weight restrictions. Some credit is due.

Disclaimer...im a Clyde and a trek owner.
I'm a two-time Trek owner and wanted to get something different since there are so many SpecTrek's around. I may revisit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I picked up a Domane SLR disc late April. I'm at 600 miles so I can't say much...i do love it...

As far as Trek carbon...i have a Remedy carbon mtb I built...it gets hammered. Santa Cruz also makes really strong and durable carbon.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
To be fair, a warranty is only as good as the company behind it. I have heard more than one shop owner say that Trek was doing everything they could to try and get out of warranty replacement. Cracked downtubes apparently were a problem for a few years after Trek moved production to Asia. They were doing everything they could to dismiss it as "user error". At the same time, Cannondale was giving warranty claims the benefit of the doubt, within reason of course.

This seems to be less common as of late though. And Trek does have some good offerings. The Domane is a great design.

Disclaimer...I'm a Cannondale and an older Trek owner and never had a warranty problem with either frame, but I like my Cannondale better.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
My experience with Trek warranty is they cover things they own quickly. Stress crack in the paint on my original Domane frame at 6000 miles and they sent a new one out, delivered in 2 days no questions asked. I've got 18,000 miles on the replacement and no issues. Solid carbon, solid warranty, happy customer that will likely end up buying another Trek at some point (own 2 now).

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
How is it that the company can once again have the lightest production frame that's rated to 275lbs, but other top players can only go to 240lbs or less? For $10k, the Cervelo Rca should do better than 220 pounds!
How many people are there worldwide who weigh between 220 and 275 and are in the market for the lightest bike frame? Single digits, maybe double?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many people are there worldwide who weigh between 220 and 275 and are in the market for the lightest bike frame? Single digits, maybe double?
The main point is the rating!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Warranty is a bet. You say the frame will break, the company says it won't. If i'm thinking warranty even before taking delivery of the bike it's a clear sign I don't have faith in the product. Personally I'm not one to go down the rabbit hole of chasing after the lightest bike.

And should someone weighing north of 225 pounds be chasing the lightest frame? Just pointing this one out.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Warranty is a bet. You say the frame will break, the company says it won't. If i'm thinking warranty even before taking delivery of the bike it's a clear sign I don't have faith in the product. Personally I'm not one to go down the rabbit hole of chasing after the lightest bike.

And should someone weighing north of 225 pounds be chasing the lightest frame? Just pointing this one out.
I own a Madone 5.2, not the lightest bike around, today, but light. I also weigh 225. I don't think I'm betting the frame will fail. Frankly, I've never had any indication it was stressed at all.

If I'm spending thousands on a bike, I certainly want to know the warranty. Just like any other major purchase. Has nothing to do with whether or not I think it would fail. Everything has a failure rate.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I assume you're not American or have never ridden around high tax bracket communities in the US?
I see plenty of guys that size on super light frames. Okay, perhaps they are not the very lightest frames and they were not selected with the goal of being the very lightest but I see plenty of heavyweights on frames in the super light category.

In fairness to the owners, sleezy bike shops are mostly to blame I suspect.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Love my Domane Project 1 great bike, no issues period. My Emonda SLR is 3.7 pounds lighter and also an awesome frame. I was 225 when bought them, down to 190 now and running C35 DA 16/21 spoke on Emonda - solid as a rock and a pure climbing machine! I'd buy another of either bike.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
whether you are consciously thinking about it or not, that's the bet. same goes with life insurance. you bet you die, the insurance company bets you live

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

If you lose a bet you lose money. Bike warranties are not purchased and you don't stand to lose anything if your frame doesn't crack. No offence but that's a dumb analogy.

And wanting a warranty is not a clear sign the purchaser doesn't have faith in the product. In fact it's the opposite. Lack of a warranty would indicate the maker doesn't have faith in the product and any thinking buyer would in turn not have faith either if the maker didn't.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
In the Supersized USA, more than you would imagine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts