Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
I'm new here. My friends got me into cycling and eventually triathlon.
I opted to use a road bike with clip on bars as I figured for my first bike I'd get the most general use out of this set up.

On long rides +50 miles, my shoulder would start to tingle and get some pain.. my neck hurts a little too.
I ride a 58cm felt f5 with a 120mm stem. From what I have been reading, I may be a little stretched out, as the frame may be just a little too big for me. I'm 6ft. Could I essentially shorten the stem a little (90mm?) To shorten my cockpit a bit? I ride pretty aggressive, saying that when in my drops my back seems almost parallel to the road.

Am I right in assuming that the shorter stem will allow me more comfort without really taking any aero advantage away?

I have big legs, shorter torso and I guess long? Arms.

Here is a pic of me(front rider) coming into transition..I feel like I'm in the most upright position my bike allows as the hoods are very hard to reach and stay upright in

In my last oly distance (40k) I averaged 22 mph and routinely train at 18-20 in this Hawaiian wind. Thanks?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
A 6 footer on a 58cm frame is a good fit. Your photo confirms you're on the right size bike, based on your position.

If nothing else, from looking at your arm angle and hand position while in the drops, your reach to the bars is too SHORT, not too long.

I think the cause of your neck and shoulder pain is because the bars are too LOW. If you can't add or shift any spacers under the stem, can you flip the stem to a higher rise position?

Raising the bars may require you to purchase a longer stem as it will tend to bring the bars closer to you. And again, as I said before, it looks like your reach is already too short, so a longer stem might be in order.

Because you're riding triathlons, getting LOWER is not what you want to do. What you want is to get NARROWER. Could be you were talked into imitating your friends' positions. You were wise to get a road bike and add aero bars to it; it makes the bike more versatile and a dedicated triathlon bike is hardly needed to be successful in triathlons. The only catch is, you may have to adapt the bike to fit you slightly differently than you would on a dedicated tri-bike because of their different geometry.

So get the bars UP and maybe try a LONGER stem only AFTER riding it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't think about bringing them up. I did throw on a 90mm stem that a pal had laying around. Didn't really notice a difference (was only .7 inch closer). Also in that pic I was testing out rotating the bars down a bit so naturally I was holding the bar a little closer too. My bike is currently packed for a move, so putting it back together will let me flip the stem and try that out. Thanks for the reply

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts